Compressed .JPG and .PNG Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnselk

Baseband Member
A few months ago I installed a second HDD in my wife's computer so she could have plenty of room for her many pictures she takes of the family. I suppose I checked these when I installed the new HDD....but I don't recall doing it.

Recently when I took a look at the storage space remaining on this new HDD I noticed that both boxes in the HDD "properties" are checked. One is named: Compress Drive to save disk space. The other box is named: Allow Indexing Service.

Right click on your HDD, click properties, and you'll see the two boxes at the bottom left.

I'm now concerned about these drives. Someone told me the "compress drive" should not be checked, but the indexing one should.

These HDD's (at least the 3 partitions) already contain data that has been saved to them.

My question is this. Should I be concerned about having both of these boxes checked? If so, why should I be concerned? Can I uncheck the boxes if I have to? What happens to data that is stored as compressed data (the data is hundreds of .jpg pictures).

Could someone please advise me on this? I want to use this HDD (and it's partitions) to backup her pictures so she'll have them saved if the primary HDD fails. I also have the pictures saved to an external HDD. But I want redundancy.

compressing the data on the drive does not hurt it in any way. it just takes up a bit less space.

and the index service is just basically a "table of contents" of what's on your drive. so that when you search for something it allready knows where it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom