Graphic anamolies artifacts/tearing with new video card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightwish

Solid State Member
I just bought a new video card Geforce 6200 to replace my
fried Geforce FX 5200. Not an upgrade I know but i was simply
just replacing my dead card. Anyways when i installed the card
with new drivers some of my 3d games have graphical
issues artifacts/tearing dont know what its called, here are
some screenshots of how my World of Warcraft looks.

ImageShack® - rodericus's images

One thing to note is that the PSU i have is a 250 watt
generic compaq psu and the 6200 says it requires a 300 watt
psu. could that be the problem? If not
what would cause this?Does anybody have any experience with this?

2 things. 1, yes the PSU could be the problem. 2, did you remove the drivers from the FX5200?

If not then get Driver Sweeper or Driver Cleaner Pro.

See if that helps at all. If not then look into getting a new PSU.

Old nvidia cards used to have an issue when they would overheat just ONCE, they would tear in OpenGL applications for the rest of the life of the card. It happened on my old AGP FX5200.

I installed a 350 watt psu as well as run driver sweeper to remove any left over drivers, then did i fresh driver install...problem remains. I also tried older drivers but nothing. I'm starting to think that the card may be bad or my motherboard may be bad.

Do you guys think doing a full system restore may solve it? Whats weird is that the problem goes away if i run the games in OpenGL and not DirectX, but with opengl my frame rate is unplayable and the graphics look terrible. So i dont know what that means. Does anybody have anymore insight on this? any help is much appreciated.

I updated DX runtimes as well as my motherboard chipset, no luck. I dont understand how my computer is having trouble with this card the 6200 and the 5200 are very similar.

I keep hearing overheating from people but the card is brand new and the problem was there the minute i installed it and loaded up a game. Is it possible that the old psu or my motherboard some how damaged the card and now the stretching and tearing is permanent? Wish i had another agp slotted pc to test it on.

Overheating a old card like that doesnt take much. Even being brand new. It is also very possible that the PSU could have done damage. It is unknown unless you can test it out on another system.

As for being permanent i cant say for sure. That would be better asked on the nVidia forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom