Build Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overclocked I'd imagine a phenom X4 and an HD4850 (best case scenario for you if your 4th core unlocks) and the other components will probably pull close to 30A on the 12V rails. Considering that the Modstream has 36A that should be fine HOWEVER.

The modstream will cost around 11 or 12 bucks to ship considering how much PSU's are to ship and MIR can be a hassle.

Newegg.com - Rosewill Green Series RG530-2 530W Continuous @40°C, 80 PLUS Certified,ATX12V v2.3 & EPS12V v2.91, SLI Ready CrossFire Ready,Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

That Rosewill is around the same price before MIR however it coems with free shipping. it is also 80 Plus certified, puts out 41A on the 12V and delivers stable power.

That Rosewill is just as good as quality as the Modstream don't let anyone tell you different. I have used many Rosewill.

41A is what my Corsair puts out and it's enough for a heavily overclocked Dual-Core (drawing 150 watts) and SLI 8800GT's.

Overclocked I'd imagine a phenom X4 and an HD4850 (best case scenario for you if your 4th core unlocks) and the other components will probably pull close to 30A on the 12V rails. Considering that the Modstream has 36A that should be fine HOWEVER.

The modstream will cost around 11 or 12 bucks to ship considering how much PSU's are to ship and MIR can be a hassle.

Newegg.com - Rosewill Green Series RG530-2 530W Continuous @40°C, 80 PLUS Certified,ATX12V v2.3 & EPS12V v2.91, SLI Ready CrossFire Ready,Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

That Rosewill is around the same price before MIR however it coems with free shipping. it is also 80 Plus certified, puts out 41A on the 12V and delivers stable power.

That Rosewill is just as good as quality as the Modstream don't let anyone tell you different. I have used many Rosewill.

41A is what my Corsair puts out and it's enough for a heavily overclocked Dual-Core (drawing 150 watts) and SLI 8800GT's.

I thought it does 40amps and didn't you tell me about three years ago when I was an utter n00b and that, due to inefficiency we can't completely add rails?

Or have I completely lost it and misread what you said a long time ago.

I thought it does 40amps and didn't you tell me about three years ago when I was an utter n00b and that, due to inefficiency we can't completely add rails?

Or have I completely lost it and misread what you said a long time ago.

hah you can't, but you are just reading the label wrong. You don't expect there to be THREE 12V rails but there are. each with 20A each. If I added them all up it would be 60A however if you look, Most companies give you total WATTS what are used on the 12V after power loss due to the way electrcitity works. All you have to do is take the total watts they have given and divide it by 12. For that PSU it's 492W, which is equal to 41A. Rosewill is nice enough to divide this for you usually right on the label hah.

I

I'm going to stick with the OCZ ModXStream Pro since it's cheaper. The shipping is ~$5 for it. I just don't see the warranty -.-

Edit:

Here's what I have right now. Hopefully they are all compatible.

Motherboard (Combo Deal)
ASUS M4A78-E AM2+/AM3 AMD 790GX

Processor (Combo Deal)
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

Graphics Card
XFX HD-485X-ZDFC Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported
Newegg.com - XFX HD-485X-ZDFC Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

RAM
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ - Desktop Memory

Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA
Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

PSU
OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ500MXSP 500W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active
Newegg.com - OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ500MXSP 500W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7 - Power Supplies

Edit:
CPU is out of stock. So the combo deal is gone for AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz + ASUS M4A78-E AM2+/AM3 AMD 790GX on Newegg. Any solutions?

Not entirely sure about the rosewill as there are mixed thoughts here but the Modxstream are great power supplies, the efficiency is about as good as the infamous corsair psu's you see everywhere now. Sorry about linking the AM3 board i must have been lazy and didn't see the T.

Since they sold out of 955's just get a 940. This is a very nice board aswel.
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

Johnnyguru is one of the most well known and PSU reviewers. Companys just send him tons of them in hopes he will review it and give it good marks.

Johnnyguru's Rosewill Reviews

Rosewill Xtreme Series Power Supplies Review
Rosewill RP500-2 500W Review

If you read the reviews in full you will see that Rosewill PSU's have EXTREMELY stable rails. The RP500 actually was underrated and could perform at above the ATX voltage specs at it's rated watts.
The other 2 power supplies had very good rails as well, the 840W was acceptable at 11.84v on the 12's at 100% load. Where as the 750x had 11.94v, meaning it was perfectly stable.

If you look at a reviews here on the 500w modstream
Overclock3D.Net :: Review :: OCZ ModXstream Pro 500w :: Text Config, Voltages, Effiency & Temperatures
bit-tech.net | Review - OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W PSU

When weighting the 12V rails (which is what gaming and most desktop computing will do) just as the JG Rosewill reviews were, the 12V at max load is 11.85-11.9v which is still very good. However, it's as good as the worst performing rosewill that was reviewed by johnnyguru; with the 750w putting out 11.94V and the 500w giving out a 12.14v, showing it's actually underated.

Rosewill PSU's are extremely stable, and they have no worse quality than low end OCZ PSU's. A few of main scares about Rosewill PSU's were that they contained no PFC, and that they died because of low ventilated cases. The new Rosewill such as the 530W I linked now contains PFC, and uses better caps for less ventilated cases.

I'm not knocking on the OCZ honestly, I mean 36A of stable 12V rail power on a modular PSU for that cheap? Really sweet if you need or want modular. However I'm just saying don't knock on a product until you look at hard evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom