Upgrading Graphics card, New CPU too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

explorer7

Baseband Member
Hey everybody. I decided to just upgrade my graphics card for now and get rid of my Geforce 8500GT. Somebody on here recommended me the Radeon HD 4850 Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards. So I'm thinking about buying that. My budget is $200, so this will take $100 out of it. Next I want to do something about my CPU, the Intel E2140 at 1.6 GHz, the slowest it gets. I was going to overclock it, but my mobo can't overclock. So with the $100 I have left should I get a new motherboard or a whole new processor? Keep in mind that the processor should be for a mid-range gaming computer, which I'm upgrading to. Any suggestions?

What mobo do you have? Or, if it is a prebuilt, what is the make and model? That way we can look it up and see what it can run.

Thanks. But since with the new motherboard I will be doing some overclocking, wouldn't I need a better cooling system too? ( I have the stock cooling system right now, and my CPUs average temperature is 42 degrees C.)

You have to crawl before you can walk. ;) You would probably have enough left out of your budget for a cooler.

You could build a new system for $350+ if you went AMD. If you reused your current case you would have to stick with a mATX board, but that would be doable.

But I'm guessing it is not logical and safe to overclock without a more powerful cooler. Can my mobo hold any better CPUs than what I have now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom