i7 Build Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

alternativedn

Solid State Member
Hi everyone. I am planning on making an i7 build within the next few weeks. I have done some research and these are the components I am currently leaning towards:

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core

Motherboard: ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel

GPU: Powercolor HD4770 ATI Radeon 512MB Graphics Card

RAM: OCZ Reaper HPC 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1800 (PC3 14400)

Case: AeroCool AeroEngine Plus – BK Black 0.6mm SECC steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply

CD/DVD Burner: LG DVD Burner Black SATA Model GH22NS50 - OEM

and Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM

Now there a few other items I'm planning on adding on later such as a x-in one media card reader for the 3.25" slot in the front of the case, a third fan for the back of the case and a cpu cooler for some minor overclocking. I am planning to have this hooked up to two 20-24" monitors and probably upgrade to crossfire 4770s within a year(would the 850w psu be enough?). This is my first build so please let me know if anything is incompatible or I could get better quality for a similar price, I am open to changing the build. Thanks in advance for the advice.

On a side note, I am planning on getting a computer tool kit to mess around with and was thinking of getting Belkin 36-Piece Demagnatized Computer Tool Kit with Case (Black). Does anyone know if they are good quality tools and, if not, what kit I should get?

-alternativedn

i would get this ram instead

Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3P1600LV6GK - Desktop Memory

and you can get that mobo and the cpu in a combo, save you $40

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

and even with crossfired 4770's the 850w is overkill. you could hook up 2 gtx 285's in sli probly and still be good.

but at the price the 4770's are, you might as well get a 4850

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE Vapor-X Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

and i dont know if you really need all that stuff in the pc kit. all you really need is a screwdriver.

Other than saving $40, is the OCZ Platinum better at 1600 (PC3 1280)?, or is the OCZ reaper better at 1800 (PC3 1440) with heat spreaders. I do not mind spending a few more bucks for quality parts. And I know the kit is overkill lol, just figure I might use it for other stuff too.

the 1800 is really only good if you are doing some high overclocks. and even then the 1600's will work for that too.

in your case the ocz ones would be better because they have tighter timings (cas 7). the ocz ones have heat-spreaders too, the matallic looking enclosure with the "Z" on it. plus the reapers are out of stock.

It's the same exact RAM except all they did was loosen the timings to Cas 8 and overclock it. That's it. RAM companies have been doing that for years now

OK sounds good, I'm gonna go with the OCZ Platinum.By the way, has anyone tried that case before? I really like its look and the idea a a large side fan.

Two other thing I was not sure about what to get are the cpu cooler and x-in-1 media card reader, anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks again in advance.

-alternative

Alright, so after another 4 hours of doing research and some suggestions here, Here is my revised build for the moment:

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core

Motherboard: ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel

GPU: Powercolor HD4770 ATI Radeon 512MB Graphics Card (Will be x2 in the future)

RAM: OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Case: Still Deciding

PSU: Corsair HX (Modular) 750 or 850W

CD/DVD Burner: LG DVD Burner Black SATA Model GH22NS50 - OEM

The parts I would like some help deciding on are a CD/DVD drive, a cpu cooler, and a x-in-1 media card reader. I looked for a little bit and couldn't find any good review sites for these types of products so was hoping I could get a reccomendation for quality parts. Thanks for all of the quick responses, I gotta go to work now so I'll prolly check in again tomorrow.

-alternativedn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom