I need YOUR help-building new pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

khan008

In Runtime
Hi, so i need some advice to build a new pc, its starting to become tricky so im wondering if someone can help.

Budget: £400 or $658 (What i want to spend)
Budget: £500 or $823 (Absolute MAXIMUM!!)

EDIT: ok so this is what i have atm;
cpu:AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 940 Black Edition 3.0GHz (Socket AM2+)
gfx: Asus GeForce GTX 260 896MB GDDR3
psu:OCZ ModXStream Pro 700w Silent SLI Ready Modular Power Supply
ram: Corsair Dominator 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 XMS2
Mobo:Asus M4A78 AMD 770 (Socket AM3/AM2+) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
hdd:Western Digital Caviar Green 750GB SATA-II 32MB Cache
case:Coolermaster Elite 334 Nvidia Edition Case
cooling:Akasa AK-967 Nero Direct Contact Heatpipe CPU Cooler + artic silver 5 thermal paste
optical:pioneer DVR-217FBK 22x DVD±RW SATA Dual Layer LabelFlash ReWriter

That comes to a grand total of £586.78

A few things im worries about, can someone please check if everything is compatable, i have a tendancy to rush things. And most importantly, do you think the after market cooler is worth it??? I hear the cooler the cpu comes with is good enough, im not looking to oc just yet.

Thanks!

So what im looking for;

Cpu: quad core, prefrably intel, i want to overclock, if not then a good amd cpu.
Mobo: not huge bothered as long as it will let me over clock and can accomidate the cpu
Ram:4gb, i was thinking croshair range???
Hdd: 1tb should be enough, maybe segate??
Optical: normal dvd rewriter, cheap nowdays (not blue ray..ps3 is for that)
Soundcard: I really dnt care about a sound card, one with mobo will be fine.
Cooling: unless u can find watercooling for £50, just a normal fan, a good one at that.
Case:antec 1200...or anything cheaper
Graphics: ahhhh here it gets tricky, i want something good, not looking for sli or crossfire, just one gfx. was leaning towards ati because they are cheaper, who knows, but it has to stay in the budget.

Things i have alerady got;
monitor, speakers, keyboard and mouse (althought might get g15 keyboard)

Well enjoy, if you can post links to websites that will ship to the uk that will be a treat!

thanks

I'll do you a build on Scan, I must point out that you're being highly optimistic about this; you're very unlikely to get a 1200 with this build (or any case around that price).

(will post build in a minute)

I would ask if you need an OS, but you can use the Windows 7 Release Candidate, which is free and expires next March.
- - -
Are you not able to re-use any old DVD drives for this build? That would save you ~£16.
This build is at Scan.co.uk; I buy the high majority of my parts from them.
khan008scan2.png

I put in a 750GB drive since I doubt you'll need a whole terabyte; if you're sure you will then it's a tenner more to up it to a terabyte.
The only way to keep the build in the budget was to go for a triple-core instead of a quad. You'll still get plenty of performance and overclocking potential, though; is that ok?

You weren't very clear on graphics ('something good' isn't very clear :p), so I put a 4850 in there since it's the best I could do with the budget. If you want more power than a 4850 then you could go for a 4870 (which is roughly as powerful as the GTX260), however that would put you a 3-4 quid over budget. Whether you need/want it entirely depends on what games you play, at what resolution and at what settings you want to play them at.

You'd have to go with stock cooling for a while if you want to get decent parts; you can always buy an aftermarket CPU cooler later (that's what I did to save money on my build initially).

That case is a decent case, with average cooling; Silverstone build quality is relatively good. Again, if you're wanting something better than you'll have to up your budget.

What are your thoughts? If you're happy with that build I can provide links for those parts. If you'd rather I'd switch parts around then please ask.

well that comes to £551.90 not including os. still to high :(
Then either you need to increase your budget or go with the parts I screenshotted. You're very unlikely to be able to get anything better than the parts I screenshotted without a higher budget too.

And I said in my other post, you don't need to buy an OS as you can use the Windows 7 release candidate for free until it expires next march.

i think its the case that is killing me, i dont know what to do now :(
Again, if you want to get a fancy case like that and have decent parts you're going to need to increase your budget. There's no other way around it unless you want to have a less powerful computer.

hmm well thanks for ur help, i think im going to increase my budget, but i have managed to shave off £20 and get a better gfx, can u tell me if these parts are good value?? and if there all compatable ofcourse :)

cpu: amd phenom quad core 940 black edition
gfx: asus gtx 260
ps: ocz 600w modxstream
mobo:asus m4a78 (not to sure about this one)
hdd:western digital caviar green, 750gb 32mb cache
case: coolmaster elite 33s nvidia edition :D
ram:4gb corsair xms2
optical:pioneer dvdrw

that comes to £529.90 which sounds good for something like that, what do u think??

iv heard the amd cooler is just fine or should i get an aftermarket one?
thanks

now im thinking of getting a cheaper case then that, mostly cos that case it really ugly :|, what do you guys think??

now im thinking of getting a cheaper case then that, mostly cos that case it really ugly :|, what do you guys think??

I think you should go for the one I put in the build in my screenshot. It's decent build quality, and has ok cooling. Silverstone cases are usually good.

oh ok, well what do u think about the rest of my build? iv also changed the ram to corsair dominator.

oh ok, well what do u think about the rest of my build? iv also changed the ram to corsair dominator.

The rest of the build is pretty good. Corsair Dominator is pretty good, I have 2x2GB of 800 Dominator.

The rest of the build is pretty good. Corsair Dominator is pretty good, I have 2x2GB of 800 Dominator.

okay, well thanks for helping me out i just got 2 more questions. the build i am going to buy is in my first post, ive updates it, do you think i need to buy an aftermarket cooler?? and secondly which of these 2 mobos should i get, both the same price, but im really confused on which one.

Asus M4A78 AMD 770 (Socket AM3/AM2+) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard

or

Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 AMD 770 (Socket AM3/AM2+) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard

thanks for you help once again

If you want to overclock, then you will want to get a good aftermarket HS; if not then stick with stock cooling.

If I had to choose one of those boards I would go for the Gigabyte one. I have no idea how well either of those will overclock, however. I'm not an expert on AMD chipsets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom