How to boot from a cd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veregund

Baseband Member
Hey guys, I have my windows vista disc handy and im trying to format by hard drive. So i need to boot from my vista disk, but I dont know how to set my computer so that it boots off of the disk. Ideas? thanks!

You need to go into bios and set it to boot off the cd-rom first.

Exactly, change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-Rom is first, or above the hdd.
Or if you know how to access the boot menu (esc for asus boards) use that as well, but i like the BIOS way better

Well I have an alienware with an ASUS motherboard. any idea how i would get into the BIOS? and when do i press esc? is it ok if i just keep tapping it during bootup?

either F8 or F12... F8 takes you into the BIOS and F12 *at least for my laptop* takes me into the boot menu and you can select what you want to boot from there

Usually you have to press either F2, F8, or F12, depends on the machine, during startup.

Right after you restart or turn it on, just start tapping one of those keys. Normally it will say at the motherboard screen.

All my ASUS boards are DEL, if not it's F2, F8, F12....but it should tell you on the POST which button to push to enter setup

The delete should bring up the Bios. The F8 key should bring up the option to start in Safe Mode, etc...

as he said... but the message you are looking for on the post screen will be at the bottom of the screen... you don't have to continually tap the button either, just hit it once and it'll load your option

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom