New burner, going crazy trying to make it work!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthrox

Beta member
Well I just purchased a Pioneer DVR-1910 (DVR-117D) I'll walk you through what i've done so far and what the problem is.

First of all, my old burner was SATA drive, this new one was not, but luckily i had some spare parts from my old computer and was able to use the ribbon connector and a power input for this drive.
I connected the master to the drive, and the other end to the motherboard.
After turning on my computer i tried to load a disc, it didn't autorun so i checked My Computer, it said CD-ROM or something and when I clicked it, it brought me to an empty folder type window.
I can't burn, read, or do anything with this burner.
The power goes on fine, and i can see it detected in my PC.
I tried deleting some registry files that i was told, didn't work.
I tried checking my BIOS, everything was on auto, didn't work.
I tried updating driver, no updates available, didn't work.
I tried uninstalling and searching for hardware changes, didn't work.

Please if there is a god, someone knows the answer to this... Please help!

Using Windows Vista Home Premium

yeah that sounds a little strange. Try changing IDE cables, or at least change channels.Sounds like it might be a bad IDE cable. Also, if that doesnt work try sticking it into another computer and seeing if it works there. One last thing, double check the jumper and make sure its set on master or CS

yeah that sounds a little strange. Try changing IDE cables, or at least change channels.Sounds like it might be a bad IDE cable. Also, if that doesnt work try sticking it into another computer and seeing if it works there. One last thing, double check the jumper and make sure its set on master or CS

Thank you for your answer! Unfortunately I don't have another IDE cable but I am going to futureshop tomorrow so maybe they will have it.
I was thinking maybe it was my IDE cables since they are very old and haven't been used in years.

Also, just in case it's not the IDE cabes, what do you mean by "check the jumpers", do you mean which end the IDE cable is connecting to? Because the master end is connected to my drive and the other end named "cpu connector" or something, is connected to my motherboard.

Thanks again and i hope you can answer these questions!

Im sorry for not being clearer. The jumper is the little set of pins on the back of the drive, used to designate what the drive is eg. master/slave. It looks like this:
c00366527.jpg

also, i do believe it's the IDE cable causing the problems you are having with it being so old and all ^_^

Alright, thanks so far for your help. Hopefully you can keep helping me just for a bit.

So I got my brand spankin' new IDE Ribbon Cable from futureshop, it didn't say which end was master and which was for the motherboard, but i figured it's the same as the old one (the two closest to eachother are for the drives and the one at the far end is for the motherboard).

So I connected it, started up my computer, and went to device manager to see if it was there, well it's not. I scanned for new devices, and it didn't show up. So now i'm having trouble just getting it to show up on my computer! You gotta help me out!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom