PC shop didnt do anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

M3UHQ

Beta member
Hi Guys and Gals!!

I have had my Vista based machine for nearly '2' years with no problems at all! On friday of last week my pc became very slow and every so often a loud beep would come out of the machine, I run my pc through a Amplifier for High bass music!! all has been fine, took pc down to the local computer shop who found nothing worng with it, i asked if they would give it a check also clean the fans and make the ram 3gb. used it lastb night and today and for the first 3-4 hours of being switched on its fine thereafter it starts to beep, slows down and the internet stops.

Specs

Windows Vista Home Premium
dual core
3gb ram
260gb hard drive
wifi - internet
sound used by a cambridge audio amplifier

Thanks lawrie

What has been done?

What I would suggest doing in this order is:
1)Disk Cleanup
2)Disk Defrag (i know vista does this automatically but do it anyways)
3)Disk check
4)AV scan
5)Spyware scan
6)Go into msconfig and stop programs from starting up with windows that aren't needed

See if that fixes some of the slowness. If it doesn't you need to press ctrl+shift+esc to see what program is eating up processor and memory when your computer starts acting slow.

After that check your manuf. website for any possible 'error codes' that your computer is giving.

Thanks, am downloading Lavasoft Spyware Remover, also where do i find Disk check?

Also what are the progs that are not needed by Vista?? want to load the basics.. ie main files ansd internet / anti virus thx

Double click my computer, then right click on your C drive and click properties>tools>disk check. CHeck both boxes then you will require a restart to beging the test.

I would also suggest Avast! antivirus and Spybot Search & Destroy - both are free and rank high among competitors.

Double click my computer, then right click on your C drive and click properties>tools>disk check. CHeck both boxes then you will require a restart to beging the test.

I would also suggest Avast! antivirus and Spybot Search & Destroy - both are free and rank high among competitors.

Side note about Spybot S & D, don't try to run it with McAfee. It also doesn't like AdAware (on my machine) but others may differ with that.

Hi Guys

Thank-you for all the support and help, all seems ok-ish!! there was a lot of spyware and the deisk checker seemed to help.

Now after a bit of playing around I switched off the speakers and there was no noise!! so that would indicate the sound is not coming from the inside of the machine!!!

Sound wise im running the audio from the pc, xbox and cd player through an old audio amplifier - Cambridge Audio A1 Intergrated Amplifier

Any ideas?

Lawrie

you switched off the speakers? are you referring to the amp, the speakers themselfs, or the volume icon down by the clock?

today and for the first 3-4 hours of being switched on its fine thereafter it starts to beep, slows down and the internet stops.
-I suspect some overheating... beep being the overheating alarm, slow down be the thermal protection, no idea for the internet stoppingtechies highlight <<< pls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom