New Build - Computer Turns off Randomly

Status
Not open for further replies.

affihq

Solid State Member
Hi,

I had built a computer about 2 years ago. When I first was building it, it would turn off randomly when I tried to use it. After replacing both the PSU and the video card, I finally got the machine to work.
It had worked for about 2 years, and I am now being faced with the same problem from when I initially built it.

The specs are as follows:
CPU: Intel Quad Core 6600
Ram: OCZ Dual Channel Platinum 4GB PC8800 DDR2 1100MHz Memory - 2x2048MB
MOBO: XFX nForce 680i 3-Way SLI Motherboard -
PSU: XION Power Real 1000W ATX Power Supply
Video Card: Nvidia's GeForce 8800 GT

So far what I have tried:

• Replacing the Ram with different Ram
  • Replacing the Video Card with a different card
  • Replacing the PSU with a different one
  • Turning computer on with just the mobo, psu, cpu, and ram

I checked for overheating and it's probably not it:
CPU Temp: 27 degrees celsius
Case Temp: 25 degrees celsius
Video Card Temp: 45 degrees celsius

Any other suggestions on what it may be?

The computer will turn on, sometimes it will turn off right away, sometimes it will stay on for 30 seconds to a minute, sometimes it will let windows load and shut down, and sometimes it will load windows and run for 5-10 minutes.

try disabling the auto temp shutdown in the bios and see if that helps (keep in mind though that if for some reason you ever pass the max temp on the CPU you can fry it as you have disabled the safety switch so to speak)

Sounds like a power supply issue to me and especially since it's a 1000w XION. Are you sure whatever power supply you tested it with had enough amperage as well? It would need somewhere around 30 on the 12V rails to be sufficient for a test.

However it's pretty clear if it's not the PSu what it is since you tried everything else, the motherboard is acting up. EVGA 680i's were known for having some problems.

Sounds like a power supply issue to me and especially since it's a 1000w XION. Are you sure whatever power supply you tested it with had enough amperage as well? It would need somewhere around 30 on the 12V rails to be sufficient for a test.

However it's pretty clear if it's not the PSu what it is since you tried everything else, the motherboard is acting up. EVGA 680i's were known for having some problems.

I also tested it with this one:
BFG Tech - 650W Power Supply
BFG 650W Power Supply

This is the power supply that I have been using for 2+ years, and it has the same problem as the XION one.

Most likely a mobo issue then?

try disabling the auto temp shutdown in the bios and see if that helps (keep in mind though that if for some reason you ever pass the max temp on the CPU you can fry it as you have disabled the safety switch so to speak)

Just so I know, what is the max temperatures for the cpu/mobo/video card?

its around 70c under full load. So your current temps are well within range

Just so I know, what is the max temperatures for the cpu/mobo/video card?

The common belief is that CPU cores should not go above 65 degree full load.

Video cards can handle low-mid 80's without problems.

The Mobo I wouldn't let the NB/SB go in the 60's

it has to be the motherboard, you tried everything else.

I tried disabiling the auto temp shutdown.
The computer worked for 10 minutes before shutting down.
The timeframes between boot and crash continuously got shorter and shorter, and after working on it for awhile, when I boot the computer, it will stay on for about 2 seconds before shutting off.

When I last used it, it would stay on for about 2 seconds, and then it would power down again.

I am pretty sure there is an issue with the mobo, but does anyone have any other suggestions before I ship it back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom