Build Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

FatedOne

Solid State Member
Hi, this is my first time building a computer (after having a really outdated PC) so I need some suggestions. My budget is $600 and I'm using this PC to play games and run many applications with graphics. I'm not sure whether or not all of these components will work together. Will this work with Windows 7 RC? I'm also not sure which Optical Drive I should buy. Is there a better price out there that what I have?

Motherboard (Combo Deal)
ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

Processor (Combo Deal)
AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black Processor

Graphics Card
XFX HD-485X-ZDFC Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported

RAM
Patriot Viper 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333

Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA

Case
RAIDMAX SMILODON Extreme Black ATX-612WEBP 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case With 500W Power Supply

*Thinking to replace Raidmax's PSU in the future.*

Please let me know on what you think of this and how I can make it better.

Windows seven will work fine with your rig, not bad for your first time. but for the same price you get get this which is much better. As for drives there are not any good ones on newegg atm, you may have to buy one locally or from another store.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ - Desktop Memory
Newegg.com - XFX HD-487A-ZHFC Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS 1TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

that leaves you 20 for your drive aswell. If you want to spend an extra 40 or so you could grab a amd 940 cpu which may be bit more future proof, but this should be fine for what you need.

baron5,

So a DDR2 ram can be put into ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 motherboard even though it's memory standard is a DDR3 with nothing wrong?

I think I'm sticking with the Seagate since there's no warranty on the Western unless I pay more.

baron5,

So a DDR2 ram can be put into ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 motherboard even though it's memory standard is a DDR3 with nothing wrong?

I think I'm sticking with the Seagate since there's no warranty on the Western unless I pay more.

Western Digital has a 5 year warranty now actually. It's not on the site but that doesn't mean they don't have one. Western Digital make excellent drives, and are slightly more reliable than Seagate IMo however Seagate are faster.

It's right at 600 shipped to my area.

DDR3 isn't much faster than DDR2 and 4GB is a good starting point to let you get more expensive components first and upgrade the easier stuff like ram after.

Newegg.com - RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WB Black 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case - Computer Cases
Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
Newegg.com - A-DATA G series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model ADQVE1B16KG - Desktop Memory
Newegg.com - Recertified: XFX HD485XYDF Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Grand Total: $605.58 shipped to me

MIR: 45.00

I trust open box and recertified video cards, especially XFX ones.

That Intel E8400 is one of the most powerful CPU's you can buy today...it overclocks to speeds that are unprecedented. Will reach speeds of 4.3ghz+ overclocked. No AMD dual-core can really touch it.

Or you can spend an extra 25 bucks on a Q6600.
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

A quad core that can reach speeds of 3.4-3.6ghz however with either CPU you are going to need a better heatsink/fan and power supply.

The build I picked out will eat up games stock, and once you add a few more things and overclock it, it will be much more powerful than the AMD build you chose.

Western Digital has a 5 year warranty now actually. It's not on the site but that doesn't mean they don't have one. Western Digital make excellent drives, and are slightly more reliable than Seagate IMo however Seagate are faster.

It's right at 600 shipped to my area.

DDR3 isn't much faster than DDR2 and 4GB is a good starting point to let you get more expensive components first and upgrade the easier stuff like ram after.

Newegg.com - RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WB Black 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case - Computer Cases
Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
Newegg.com - A-DATA G series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model ADQVE1B16KG - Desktop Memory
Newegg.com - Recertified: XFX HD485XYDF Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Grand Total: $605.58 shipped to me

MIR: 45.00

I trust open box and recertified video cards, especially XFX ones.

That Intel E8400 is one of the most powerful CPU's you can buy today...it overclocks to speeds that are unprecedented. Will reach speeds of 4.3ghz+ overclocked. No AMD dual-core can really touch it.

Or you can spend an extra 25 bucks on a Q6600.
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

A quad core that can reach speeds of 3.4-3.6ghz however with either CPU you are going to need a better heatsink/fan and power supply.

The build I picked out will eat up games stock, and once you add a few more things and overclock it, it will be much more powerful than the AMD build you chose.

I'd get Sora's build with a Phenom II 920 and a Biostar 790GX

If you go quad core Vernong is right that a Phenom is a good choice....however for dual-core stay with the C2D and overclock them. The new Kuma's are nice however they still don't OC as well as the C2D

Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor - Processors - Desktops the 940 Black edition is an awesome CPU for the money
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-UD4H AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards a great board as well

However that's only if you want a Quad-Core. You could try to get the Callisto you want and unlock it, but there is no guarantee it will work.

i see, i guess that maybe he could get away with using that raidmax psu for a little while. but i was saying, even if that is the case, the one that you listed isn't the one that comes with a psu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom