WTHK is up with Defrag??

Status
Not open for further replies.

echox91

Baseband Member
ok i tried defragmenting my hard drive in hopes of making my laptop faster. I started the process at around 10 am this morning. It is now 11:43 and it's...18.6% finished. what the heck?? not like my laptop is bad or anything..c'mon!

and leaving it on for so friggen long is also getting on my worries. When's the longest one should keep his laptop on? 48 hrs?

Leaving it on all day shouldn't cause any problems..

But for the drive thing, I'm assuming you have a really big hard drive capacity or since you left it on all night, I guess it throttled down so much that it did the job extremely slowly?

ok i tried defragmenting my hard drive in hopes of making my laptop faster. I started the process at around 10 am this morning. It is now 11:43 and it's...18.6% finished. what the heck?? not like my laptop is bad or anything..c'mon!

and leaving it on for so friggen long is also getting on my worries. When's the longest one should keep his laptop on? 48 hrs?

My brothers laptop has been on 24/7 for the past month.

hahaha yeah my hd is 320 gigs xD ugh but still..at this rate it'd take over 60 hrs in total to defrag -____-'' maybe even 3 days. guess it'd be worth it

wow a whole month? thats pretty insane. sure nothing bad had happened to it? im tryin to take care of this one lol

19.7%!

I think if i remember correctly, its not good to run on AC power continously? Is that correct anyone?

Well I'm interested in the answer to that one, because I have my laptop plugged in all the time - well I shut it down at night. I always thought it was ok and I haven't had any problems. Maybe I've just been lucky so far.

Yes having an AC source running continuously will wear down parts of your system after a while, but we're talking tens of thousands of hours anyway, so as far as it actually affecting you the answer is no. Feel free to leave it plugged in indefinitely.

Obviously there are other contributing factors, such as just how clean/reliable the power is in your area, but again things would have to be very bad for anything adverse to happen.

If I were to keep it on AC all the time I think it would be good to plug it into a surge protector, or a UPS if you wanted to be extra careful.

It won't take that long, it usually does a big jump towards the end. Alternatively you could try downloading defraggler, it's a freeware program by piriform, and it's the pwnage.

defraggler download

man i sure hope so lol its on 21.5 now -_____-
ill try defraggler next time..hopefully that'll be faster.

hmm so leaving your AC in continuously isn't bad. I also heard that shutting down your laptop is bad? Like..you should just leave it on standby or something? =\

ITS STILL AT 21.5
FML

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom