Basic Buying Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sk3uled

Solid State Member
Hey guys, I've been running my outdated computer with 1GB RAM, 3800 AMD Athlon 64x2 PRocessor, 250GB HD, and 6200 Geforce for a while now...

IT'S TIME FOR AN UPGRADE.

Just some background information, I like to game. Also, I like to do graphic design and video editing.

I'm seeking a computer upgrade.
The major game I play is World of Warcraft. My Budget isn't really high, and is within the 500-700$ range. I've been searching around and finally landed on this:
Newegg.com - CyberpowerPC Gamer Ultra 7208 Athlon X2 7850(2.8GHz) 4GB DDR2 500GB NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit - Desktop PCs

Can anyone tell me if that is a decent desktop for its price? If someone can possibly point me in something better, even if it means spending a few extra bucks to get a massive improvement... (I'd really like to spend around $700 flat, possibly 750 or 800)

I'd like to run WoW in full settings, with V-Sync (if it'll cost too much with v-sync than nvm lol) and still get a decent FPS during Arena, pvp, battlegrounds, and raids.

I've been looking around newegg and it seems they have the best prices. I went to best buy and their setups seem to be a bit more expensive.

Would it be cheaper to build my own configuration? I don't have extensive knowledge and education in computer hardware; I really only know basics and some intermediate stuff.

Can someone be my oh'tech angel? ;)

Thanks!

Edit: Also, can someone clairfy on what I should be looking for in a gaming-PC? I heard intel is way better for gaming, but amd is cheaper. IS there really a performance difference, sufficient enough to pay for? Also, I hear the 9800 Geforce is a really good card, so is that the set standard for game video cards? And finally, are quad cores way better than duo for gaming?

triple core processor? are they good? i've seen the dual and quads.. also. would i have to buy an operating system?? (wouldnt that be more expensive?)

That PII X3 720 is better than the 7850 you picked. And the extra core will give you better multitasking capabilities.

Yeah wow, im reviewing every piece and it seems to blow my current build out of the park!!

The only thing i'm not 100% sure about is the video card
Newegg.com - XFX GX260NADFF GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

I know the performance of the 9800, how does it compare to that? And is this build open for expansion
later on? (such as expanding RAM, dual video cards, etc...)

And thanks for the winodws 7 advice, i didn't think about that! ^^
(is there a cd i can order because downloading and burning will be a pain)

edit: the computer case seems a little ugly, lol
Newegg.com - RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WBP Black 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case With 500W Power Supply - Computer Cases

is that a reasonable and decent computer case to go with the current hardware?

The 260 will blow the 9800 out of the water pretty nicely. There is a lot of upgrade room with that motherboard, if you read the specs it can hold up to 16GB of memory (about 12GB more than you need), and it can handle two video cards.

As for the case, it kind of depends on what you like and how your budget is. The 300 is always recommended because it is very dependable and simple.

You can't order the RC OS on a cd. You should download it soon actually because I believe they are pulling the availability to the public sometime next month.

I am not sure why Newegg does that...maybe to show the value or something I don't know. But it divides the actual cost up between the product and the free stuff...in this case the video card and 2 games. The actual cost of the card $179.99, but you are getting the 2 games for free..it is showing you the value of everything to imply the savings I guess..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom