Hard drive recognition

Status
Not open for further replies.

danfman

Beta member
Fried the mother board on a HP Pavilion 522c - 2000 AMD Athalon processor. So I removed the Maxtor, model 4D060H3, hard drive and installed it into my Dell Dimensions 2400 Intel Pentium 4. It is not recognizing the hard drive though. I know the hard drive is still working because I set it as a slave, and installed it on a 3rd computer and confirmed it was fully functional.

My only clues as to why it may not be working is,

-one was an Intel and one was AMD
-the physical size of where the hard drive fits into the 2nd computer is much larger (wider) than the 1st.
-Maybe something isn't set correct?
-I have set the hard drive to master with the jumpers on the back
-I removed all other devices from the bus.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Does the drive show up in BIOS?

-the physical size of where the hard drive fits into the 2nd computer is much larger (wider) than the 1st.
I don't quite see what you mean; could you perhaps explain more clearly?
As far as I can tell, I think you've put the hard drive (which is 3.5") into a 5.25" bay.

-one was an Intel and one was AMD
Wouldn't make a difference nowadays.

It is a jumper setting. Make sure you have the jumpers set correctly or go with cable select. My guess is you have it correctly setup on one computer and not on this one.

-one was an Intel and one was AMD - Doesn't matter
-the physical size of where the hard drive fits into the 2nd computer is much larger (wider) than the 1st. - Physical size doesn't matter of the drive, it is the connection that matters.
-Maybe something isn't set correct? - yup, the jumpers
-I have set the hard drive to master with the jumpers on the back - can only have one master, need to make the other slave
-I removed all other devices from the bus.

It's the only hard drive connected. The bios doesn't see it, therefore Windows never starts.

Before I 1st posted I had the jumpers set to Master, but since have tried the other 3 options (Cable Select Enabled, Slave and Cylinder Limit) with no success.

Hard drive cable ok ? Without googling it, is that a SATA drive, or an IDE ? If SATA is both connections plugged in ? Everything snug ? Maybe you have some other cables you could try ?

What size PSU do you have in the Dell? I know that my Dell only came with a 300W PSU and that may not be enough to power everything you have in the system.

A drive installed on a HP will never boot on a dell unless you reformat it on the dell. So even if you get the bios to see it, it wont boot into windows like it was in the HP.

What does the bios say when you look at the drives?

I think you're probably on the right track, Bruce.

When I power on the Dell 2400, the following screen appears,

Primary Drive 0 not found
Secondary drive 0 not found
F1-continue, F2-setup

It says this whether or not the hard drive is plugged in.

If I do have to reformat the hard drive, how would I go about that?

First i'd press f2 and make sure that the drive isn't set to off. The bios should still see the HD even though windows won't boot. If it is set to off set it to auto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom