Need opinions on HTPC processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

synergy

Fully Optimized
Well, I was planning on getting the 7750 Kuma, but when I went to order they had just discontinued it. So I hastily purchased the Phenom II 920. I kinda think this is overkill though for a HTPC, and I saw that they have the 7850 Kuma. Would you guys sell the 920 and get the 7850 or just keep the 920? I plan on using this PC strictly for home theater and folding.

Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 920 2.8GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon X2 7850 Black Edition Kuma 2.8GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 95W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Yea, that was actually why I got it, but I would rather trade cool running for folding if it came right down to it. I do want to fold, just don't know if 125W will run much hotter than a 95W.

I don't think that the X4 even comes close to that TDP, because it is a 45nm unlike the Kuma.

Plus, if you're quite nervous about heat and whatnot, you could always spring for the Callisto dual-cores which have a high chance of unlocking to the full Phenom II X4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom