Recommendation for GFX Card upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems the consensus for a brand new card is the GTX 285. i want overkill with my system. I am hoping with this card i wont see any graphical blemishes on my part. Besides, i will probably do a monitor upgrade sooner or later

I want to talk to you guys about crossfire though because thats still an option that is still out there. As i said earlier, i am a bit weary on the subject because i heard there is a lack of support for games with crossfire. Whats you guys' take on this?

Well what's your motherboard for starter, that's the make it or break it thing.

For now, with your low-end monitor, the HD 4850 CFX won't do crap for you. On the contrary, when you upgrade your monitor, it'll be a big performance jump, as the game won't be as CPU Bound* but will beat the GTX 285.

But given the current position, the GTX 285 would be the better performer.

* which reminds me, that's another way to increase that performance, is to overclock your CPU a bit, because that resolution is a bit CPU Bound.

There is no way you get ANY sort of lag on ANY game with a 3GHZ Wolfdale, 4GB of ram and a 4850 at 1280x1024.

One of these
Newegg.com - HIS H489F1GP Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

and a new PSU
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

save the money and just crossfire the 4890 later on.

This is your best bet. A single 4890 is one **** of a card...and your motherboard is Crossfire ready so if you ever feel the need to become even more unneccesary you can throw another one in.

And also please overclock that Wolfdale

if you go with sora's suggestion, you might aswell spend the extra $20 and get the corsair 750w becaise later on if you wanna xfire with another 4890, the 650w wont have the neccessary pcie power connections and you'd end up buying another psu.

and if you plan on OCing your cpu further like has been suggested, id suggest getting a better cpu cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom