How do I back up my hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh, rite yeah sure. Sorry, forgot about this thread.

Yes, that will do what you want it too. Of course the best solution would be to just plug the drive into a pc with sata support, but if that's not an option for you then this is the next best thing I guess.
edit: and btw it's my guess that when you took it to Best Buy they tried booting off the drive, so of course it friggin BSOD'd. if you can't access the drive when you plug it in via the usb cable then post back and I'll walk you through it.

Great, thank you all so much! I ordered it just now. I hope everything works out. I'll let you guys know when I try it!

Umm, Best Buy just does exactly what you guys are suggesting, we hook it up to another machine which is running a PE mode version of Windows. If it was BSODing, most likely the HDD is running into a physical problem.

But by all means try out more tricks please.

Oh and I take offense to the post about how retail techs are trained to drag money out of clients.

I have never dragged money out of anyone, I have just recommended the service to fix it for them. I don't want them coming back at me mad any more than any of you do.

Just cause one Agent does it doesn't mean we all do.

Its like saying that my plumber screwed up and drilled holes in my toilet, now I hate all plumbers cause they all drill holes in my toilet. (sorry first thought that popped up)

If the machine used to check known bad HDDs BSODs as a result of having a bad HDD plugged into it then that can only mean that the machine is not suitable for the job in some way regardless of whether the fault was software or hardware related.

Please report the specific post(s) that offend you so that they can be reviewed by the moderator team.

OK, I'm from the UK so I have no actual experience with Geek Squad but if someone had bad experience then that is just as valid as yours. Just because you are good, that doesn't mean that they are all good.

"Its like saying that my plumber screwed up and drilled holes in my toilet, now I hate all plumbers cause they all drill holes in my toilet."

Actually it's more like saying "I hired a plumber from a company he did a terrible job so not only am I not going to hire from them again, I will also advise others not to use them"

I have just connected the device and turned it on... now what do I do? I'm not getting any on screen prompts, and there's no instruction manual...

Ok, I just tried booting up Drive F... I think thats what this is, and I got an I/O service error... anyone know what that means?

Hang on, can you open the laptop drive? e.g. go into My Computer and open Drive F (if that is indeed what it is)?

If that fails, right-click on My Computer, select Manage > Disk Management
You will see all the drives currently connected to your computer, hopefully one of those will be your dodgy laptop drive. If it shows up as 'unallocated' or something similar do NOT format it. You'll need to grab yourself a data recovery program to scan the drive.

If you end up having to do the second step, post back and I'll link you to a good recovery program

Its not coming up as unallocated, it says that it's Healthy and active, however, I can't open the drive from my computer. Also, it seems to indicate that the entire drive is free... which I certainly hope isn't the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom