HTPC Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
That mobo/cpu combo looks like a great deal, psu looks good and if I cant scrounge up some ram around here then the transcend will do.

I'm still undecided on what OS to use, iv never actually used any of the Microsoft media center software so I'm not sure if it will work for me. Id really like to try the Linux MCE and see if I can get it working. If that fails (which it most likely will, epically) I'll probably install Win7 RC and either use the Media Center or install xbmc, the big thing is that whatever I end with I want to be able to use a remote control to navigate completely after I turn on the pc. Any recomendations to be able to do this?

For an HTPC, a 780G GPU is more than enough for 1080p video (using PowerDVD, in conjunction with Windows 7 Media Centre). He won't need a more powerful CPU than the 7750/7850.

I've never heard of transcend. Are they any good? The reviews are pretty good.
There are not exactly performance overclocking memory, but they sure get the job done, When your buying a cheap set of ram that doesn't need to be overclocked, most sets will do just fine.
I would probably go with this patriot set since they have heat spreaders for virtually the same price.
Newegg.com - Patriot Extreme Performance Gaming Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model PGS24G6400ELK - Desktop Memory

Newegg.com - ASRock A780LM AM2+/AM2 AMD RS780L (760G) Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
Newegg.com - SeaSonic SS-400ET 400W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V V2.91 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies
Newegg.com - Patriot Extreme Performance Gaming Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model PGS24G6400ELK - Desktop Memory
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon X2 7850 Black Edition Kuma 2.8GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 95W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

760G and 7850 Kuma are MORE than enough for full 1080p playback.
The seasonic 400w provides PLENTY of stable amperage on the 12V rails and is 80+ certified to keep energy efficiency good since HTPC's are on almost all the time.

shipped total to me is 215.

You said budget was 200 but I would choose that build, however if it really HAS to be under 200 then watch this.

Newegg.com - Open Box: ASUS M3A76-CM AM2+/AM2 AMD 760G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

BAM, 12 bucks cheaper lol.

down to 203 shipped

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom