Wont turn off!Please help me stop wasting electricity!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrwoggle

Solid State Member
Errrr...I just put in more memory in an Acer desktop (Added 512 MB to existing 512 DDR)..

All looked well..Until I tried to shutdown..I figure its coincidental, but why will it not shut down?It just hangs.....

Any suggestions would be massively appreciated

MW

Hold down the power button? That shouldn't hurt it. Did that all the time with my old pc, used to take like 10 minutes to shut down so I just held down the power button. Never lost any data or anything so you should be fine.

Hold down the power button? That shouldn't hurt it. Did that all the time with my old pc, used to take like 10 minutes to shut down so I just held down the power button. Never lost any data or anything so you should be fine.

That's not a good way to shut a computer down all the time... You can corrupt data easily doing that. Why do you think Windows and other OS's have a shut down option? So that they can stop using data properly and safely shut the PC down. Once in a while is fine, but not all the time.

NTLDR Missing.......hahahahaha :) ........try shutting down from the task manager

or from the run prompt
start > run > type "shutdown /s" without the quotes then press enter

edit: oh. just read the OP :)
if that fails you can open up the task manager and manually stop all non-windows processes too, and see which one's causing the hang, but that's a little more complicated.

open up the task manager and manually stop all non-windows processes too, and see which one's causing the hang, but that's a little more complicated.

For me this is 9 out of 10 times the issue. Some program that is running in the background is hanging and not allowing windows to shutdown. "Ending Process / Process Trees" is a little tricky. You really need to know what is what. But, when you find whats hanging you can work much better from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom