PC halting on startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rokarst

Beta member
My friend's computer has been acting up a lot lately so I offered to take a look at it for him and I am quite stumped. After doing a fresh install and restoring the bios to default settings i manged to get it to boot with no issues. While doing updates etc it restarted randomly a couple times on me. I discovered the fan on his video card died (and melted). I switched over to onboard video. Everything was working fine i installed all updates and even tested the RAM to make sure there weren't any more unexpected problems.

When he got it home he called me up and told me that it would not boot up. He said it would freeze at a black screen or restart at the windows loading screen.

Not sure what the specs are exactly since he took it home but here is what i remember

CPU: AMD Athlon 2000+
Mobo: unsure
768mb Ram
Newish 350 watt power supply (which I gave him)
Running XP SP3
New hard drive (again not sure of the size)

Can anyone point me in the right direction to getting his problem solved?

Can he upgrade his RAM, it seems like he could use some more memory. As far as the problem with not booting I would think that would be enough, but it is still something to consider is more RAM. He could recheck his connections if he hasnt already done that as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom