Gaming Build soon!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guttzu

In Runtime
The time is almost here to start building my dang gaming rig....(sigh)..... I don't expect anything amazing to come out in the next month so I have some questions about stuff....

Case: I really like the look and overall build of the Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER ATCS 840 RC-840-KKN1-GP Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases.... anybody have any suggestions or experience with this case?

Video Card: I've been looking at some options here.... either go with a GTX295 Newegg.com - EVGA 017-P3-1295-AR CO-OP Edition GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 (448 x 2)-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards..... or get one GTX285 for now and SLI out in the future... any pointers here? I might have enough to SLI out with my initial build but that depends on the final cost....

MB: I have been set on the Newegg.com - EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards for awhile now but is there anything out there that is better... (classified is way too much money for what I am wanting to do...)

Are SSDs any cheaper now? I want to get a Raptor 300gig then a 1tb storage drive but if the SSDs are cheaper I would replace the 300gig with an SSD....

Here is my current wishlist....
Newegg.com - Once You Know, You Newegg

I am still undecided on a heat sink and some of the stuff listed above.... I think all my other options are solid but any advice would be appreciated... I'll be ordering in the next month so I want to get a good idea of where I should be standing once that day comes....

Thanks in advance to everyone :D

Interesting choice of case have you looked into lian li and silverstone ranges very similar styling.... Huge fan on the side imo isn't better then good linear front to back air flow.

Gtx285 hands down think of the gtx295 as 2xgtx260 55nm core240 they are underclocked gtx285's due to the heat produced by dual die on a single cooler seems great in theory but tri-sli gtx285 have more overclocking potential and ultimately is cheaper, faster and runs cooler.

Get this instead your payng more for 2 extra usb headers and 1 extra sata slots whats up with that much rather have the extra pci-ex4 slot for a deadly soundcard.

Don't get a V-raptor pieces of crud in a gaming environment they offer negligible performance boost WD blacks outperform them.

1000W psu you won't need that unless you follow my gtx285 tri-sli advice with dedicated soundcard.

Your optical drive is out of stock.

on the ssd front Newegg.com - OCZ Vertex Series OCZSSD2-1VTX60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - Solid State Disks

Are you an overclocking god yet? Just get these and spend the spare cash on another gtx285 Newegg.com - Patriot 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model PVT36G1333LLK - Desktop Memory

Whats your total budget?

Am I missing something, my reccomended RAM is cheaper of equal speed after OC and to me seems perfect for this guy.

The asus what a joke not a gaming board at all look at the pci-e slot speeds not upto par of the gigabyte. Sorry but if I had sli I would not want my extra card at half speed.

Patriots can be a little... iffy. Nowhere near as bad as Ballistix though.

No more so then OCZ imo. just before I left to enjoy the glorious sunshine we have been having OCZ was having major MIR issues as their rebate company was bankrupt. OCZ is traditionally good but patriot are a relatively new company so their reputation is easily tainted whilst OCZ is more steadfast.

My budget will be $2500 give or take..... I posted on here awhile ago and things have changed since then it seems....

What would you recommend for the following things:

HDD... Not going SSD until they come down in price... (Cavier Black?) I want a gaming/OS drive then a storage drive....

I have looked at the Lian Li cases but I really haven't found one that I like... same goes with Silverstone... I don't know I just really like the look of the ATCS 840....

VC's (SLI GTX285's)... what would be the best to go with?

Power Source: How about... Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-850HX 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies...

I can spend a decent amount on RAM so what would be the best to go with for my budget?

Heat Sink: I have looked at the TRUE120, Thors Hammer, Dark Knight, Sunbeam Core Contact, Etc... what is the best to go with here.... I only plan on going with a mild OC to start with...

I'm assuming on-board sound will be good enough...

I guess people can start throwing up builds if they want but I am stuck in my decisions on my Mouse, Keyboard, Monitor... leaves a lot open though lol.....

How do you figure it's equal speed after an OC? How do you know it will OC that well? And why not take the OC ability of the OCZ into account.

Get the OCZ Platinum, if you don't then get the OCZ Gold.
Newegg.com - OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK - Desktop Memory

simple 1333mhz speed cranked up we lose timings but we gain speed in mhz so at 1600mhz which if you read the reviews the patriot ram is capable of it is using very similar chip to the OCZ which scores a near same score. Patriot merely downclocked the chip to allow for greater timings which allow enthusiasts like us to take a second glance. For the price the patriots are pretty unbeatable and the user is a fairly inexperienced forum member (no offence meant original poster) so I doubt if he is asking for advice on us building a new pc for him if he knows thoroughly what OC ability of certain chipsets are, therefore he is unlikely to being truly pucshing the boundaries to the max.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom