Building Quad-Core comp under budget HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

erindalton420850

Solid State Member
Hi, I am looking to upgrade my old comp and build a new one. I have two main sticking points... it has to be quad-core and everything minus monitor for $600 not a penny over. Right now I can attain that but I have a few questions. Is ddr3 memory worth it? If so then I must get DDR3 capable motherboard. I am also concernced about cooling for a quad-core. Should I go big and get hi end to make sure I protect my investment or do they not overheat so much? I am looking to keep the computer for quite a while I have had my AMD64 since they first came out and it is finally time. It can not keep up to the multi-tasking that I do. I am into gaming but never did because my comp was not good. I also use multiple monitors so wife can watch tv/movie on bigscreen and while I work on other monitor/s. I use a 3 monitor setup (1VGA 1DVI and my 52" Sony currently hooked with DVI to HDMI adapter) just so you know.

Here is my current config of which I have found:
Gigabyte GA-EP45T-UD3LR (DDR3 capable) $100
Q6600 Quad-Core Processor $160
GeForce 9500GT 1gb $60
6GB DDR3 Ram $80
650 Watt Power Supply $35
80G Raptor Hard Drive $40 (Have 500GB to go with it)
DVD Burner (Already Have) Will upgrade to Blu-Ray when can afford.
Tower, Keyboard, Mouse, other $75
I currently have Geforce 9600Gt Dual-DVI paired with the Internal VGA on my motherboard to create 3 monitors.

That total is $550. Most of my prices are coming from EBAY. Most items listed have multiple auctions and sell for about those prices according to past 30 days completed listings. Thanks all and I look forward to your help!

DDR3 with the Core 2 Duo series isn't worth it. Get 2x2GB of DDR2, it will be cheaper and much more worth the money. Not to mention, DDR3 boards for LGA775 are expensive and hard to come by.
Anyway, with your budget AMD would be more worth your while.

If you're into gaming, a 9500GT is a terrible choice. Get something better like GTS250 or HD4850.

A 650W power supply for $35 must be bad quality, you need to spend more on a decent power supply; if it dies there's a chance it will take other components with it. Not to mention, it won't last as long as a higher quality one you buy. This would be a good choice:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

Also personally I wouldn't buy any components from eBay. It means they've likely already been used so their lifespan will be shorter than parts you buy new.

I imagine someone else from around here can put together a good build for you on Newegg. Do you need an OS?

Whatever you do, don't buy that power supply for $35!!! You'd be better off shooting yourself in the foot.

The Earthwatts series are really good, Slaymate. I have one in my parents PC, and I know Rican has one in one of his folding machines.

Yeah the Earthwatts are great. Almost as good as Corsair, I'd say.

Edit: Wait, I think slaymate was referring to the power supply mentioned in the opening post.

ah, i think you are right, lol.

i thought it was the psu i listed because it also comes out to $35 in the combo with the 300.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom