DDR3 the future of RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

erindalton420850

Solid State Member
Hi, I am building a new computer and have been reading a lot about DDR3 ram. I know most people say it is not worth it right now and I understand that, but what about 3-5 years down the road? When DDR2 ram came out it was very expensive and not finely tuned... now there is a market and it has exploded. Won't the same happen to DDR3 in the near future? I have kept my current build FOREVER since I bought a motherboard with DDR2 support when it FIRST came out. I understand DDR2 is EX ram and will probably be around for years to come I just do not want to be TOO far behind the bend in a few years.

My question is should I go all out and get a motherboard with DDR3 capability or get a really good DDR2 motherboard. I do not want to go over $120. I found one DDR3 that I like for now but it is not great.

The 2 boards I can afford with DDR3 are:

Intel BOXDP45SG LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

GIGABYTE GA-EP45T-UD3LR LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

Thanks again

And in 3-5 years DDR3 will be old news. We'll probably be using DDR5 by then :D

Well DDR4 is set to be released roughly around 2012 so I don't we'll be using DDR5 for a while longer than 3-5 years. Though by then we might not be using RAM any more :p

Ok so say I go with the Foxconn Renaissance LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard and get a good I7 core to start my build would that be a good start for a DDR3 system?

Yea but look at the longevity of DDR2 I fig if I get a solid DDR3 system then I should be solid for a while... besides most games or software out now don't even take full advantage of the quad-cores and ram that is out now from what I have read (but i am a newb so what do i know).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom