SLI vs. Crossfire

Status
Not open for further replies.
For that budget its not worth going for a sli or crossfire rig i'd say, you be betetr of getting one powerful single GPU and maybe upgrading two dual GPU later on. It wont get too much cheaper then zedmans build without sacrificing performance parts.

For that budget its not worth going for a sli or crossfire rig i'd say, you be betetr of getting one powerful single GPU and maybe upgrading two dual GPU later on. It wont get too much cheaper then zedmans build without sacrificing performance parts.

Exactly, you can drop to cas 8 ram, but it only saves you like $15. Again with the motherboard and such. Thats really the minimum.

I disagree with all of the above. AMD isn't taking away any edge. Actually AMD is probably close to falling over the edge.
I don't think PhysX or CUDA can ever actually become a standard if they stay a proprietry format only usable on Nvidia cards.

As it stands, games which use PhysX only have it as an optional extra. i.e. you can run the game perfectly fine without it.
Because if game developers implemented PhysX as mandatory in their games, that would cut off a large portion of their market (people who don't use a G92/G94 or G200 Nvidia card).

PhysX and CUDA may have more market share now, but only because they're more developed so far against standards like OpenCL.

Though I think that GPU acceleration is far more likely to take off if Microsoft implements it via DirectX (in fact, it's likely DirectX 12 would include GPU acceleration).

The industry largely already uses DirectX, because it's cheaper to implement and involves less man-hours in development. Businesses like that.
So if Microsoft implements DirectX-based GPU acceleration, businesses are far more likely to adopt it as an actual standard.

I'd personally prefer an open standard such as OpenCL to become a standard. But in terms of market adoption of standards, Microsoft would be in by far the best position to grab the GPU acceleration market.

If Nvidia wants CUDA and PhysX to become industry standards, the reality is they'd have to open them up and allow competitors to use them.

ok well, if you guys think that a single GPU would be better for me now, what GPU would you guys suggest?

ok well, if you guys think that a single GPU would be better for me now, what GPU would you guys suggest?

Depending on your budget, anything between a GTX260 and GTX285 (260, 275, 280, 285), or either HD4870 or HD4890. Any of them would be a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom