HP e9150t vs. Dell Studio XPS - Need buying help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moondoggy

Solid State Member
Can anyone give me any insight on the HP e9150t and/or Dell Studio XPS destop systems?

I've looked at both and have prices on a system that has a Intel I7 920 CPU, 8 GB Memory and other similar hardware. Price-wise the Dell is $150 cheaper but the HP has a 1 GB graphic card vs. 512 MB for the Dell. I've read a lot of reviews on the Studio XPS and have picked up on a lot of reports that it will overheat and the fan will kick on at such high speed it sound like an airplane taking off and is either on at high speed or off. I have zero info on the e9150t and I'm guessing that it is very new. Can anyone help me with info on either system?

Since my current system has a generic motherboard and parts I have no experience with either Dell or HP. I do know that to build a comperable system as either the e9150t or the XPS I will end up spending more money for the desktop which won't even include a monitor but I'm concerned about what I may be giving up with either HP or Dell.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

To be honest, you'd get a much better deal by building a system yourself. You'll get better performance for what will likely be less money.

As for the pre-builts, can you give the full model numbers? There are varying models of the Dell Studio XPS.

If I absolutely had to get a prebuilt namebrand computer I'd probably go with Dell. I owned a dell desktop when I was little and it lasted me 5 years before I replaced it, and it was still running with no problems. I currently have a Vostro laptop and it's been surprisingly nice for a portable. Plus it was advertised as a 1.4 dual core but CPUZ reports it as 1.6 haha. Not a big difference but a nice surprise I guess.

Having said that, building your own pc will yield much better results as far as value vs cost.

Yamikotai and Thilly:

Thanks for your replies

I guess that part of my problem is that although all of my prior systems have been generically build I have never built one myself. I've check the local dealer of parts where I live and I can't build a generic system with the same CPU, memory and parts as either the HP or the Dell for the same price. Unless I've made a huge mistake in parts, the system unit alone would run about $2000 through my local dealer and that doesn't include a monitor, keyboard or mouse. The other issue is that in my opinion if your not into putting systems together for a hobby or for profit then where do you start to avoid "issues" like buying a system case that poorly designed or is loud?

My other question is this... Unlike a system that you walk in and buy off the shelf both the HP and Dell that I cited in my original email these systems are at least built to my specifications (i.e. CPU, amount of memory, graphics card, size of hard drive, as well as the flavor of OS. Since I don't overclock or otherwise tweak the system what am I really loosing by buying a either the HP or the Dell?

Generally buying through local dealers is much more expensive than buying online at places like Newegg.

what am I really loosing by buying a either the HP or the Dell?
Quality of parts and performance.

your losing money also.

i highly doubt it would run near $2000. for that much you could build a straight beast with probably a ssd and sli'ed 285's or something.

you don't need to OC and tweak your pc for maximum performance to get good bang for your buck. how much does the pc cost that you are looking at?

For $1500 before taxes with Dell I would be getting a complete system that includes the following:

Intel I7-920 CPU;8 GB DDR3 TriChannel RAM;750 MB HD; BlueRay burner;DVD player; ATI Radian graphics card with 512 MB memory; a gigabit wired network card; USB Keyboard and optical mouse; Windows Vista Business Ultimate with a free upgrade to Window 7 Business Ultimate and a 24 inch HD flat screen monitor. The only difference between the Dell and the HP is that graphics card comes with 1 GB of memory, the monitor is 23" vs. 24" and it comes with Vista Business Pro with a free upgrade to Window 7 Business Pro.

Do you really have any need for a Blu-ray burner? Or 8GB of memory? And don't you have a keyboard+mouse you can use? And the amount of RAM a GPU has isn't important (though it is a factor), it's what chipset.

What I'm saying is that by building your own system you'll get everything you want and nothing you don't need.

It's entirely up to you, but I assure you it would be worth it.

Thanks for the reply.

So....Is what you're saying is the I7-920 with etc, etc, etc is overkill? I currently have an ASUS P4P800 board with a Pentinum 4 3GHz processor with 2 GB of RAM. It's OK for XP Home Edition but I really want to run Windows 7 and I think that would make it a dog. What would you recommend?

going with an i7 build isn't overkill, but some of the things you listed might come from iffy brands (you dont really know), whereas if you build it yourself, you'd be sure to pick out some good quality parts.

also you keep mentioning the 512mb or 1gb video card. but you havent actually listed the name. there are so many cards from different series that just the memory is not enough to identify which one it is. and it might not be you, it might just be that they are not listing it, which is another loss.

and id like to see how 8gigs of ram are supposed to work in triple channel. all in all though, thats not worth 1500$

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom