What should I upgrade first?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dexter

Solid State Member
So I was planning on upgrading my monitor, graphics card, and motherboard sometime in the near future.. But instead of waiting until I have the money for all three, I've decided to buy each separately.

Just have a couple questions:

1. Well.. My title; What should I upgrade first?

2. Will a 4870 be enough for most games at 1680x1050... or even sometimes 1920x1080? I will be playing GTA IV, Prototype, CoD4, and MW2, along with a few others I may pick up.. Or should I just spend the extra ~$70 and get a 4890?

3. Sorry to ask this.. But newer cards will work on older boards, right (referring to PCI express 2.0)? Here's the motherboard I have: Newegg.com - DFI BloodIron P35-T2RL LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Here's the monitor I want: Newegg.com - Acer X233Hbid Black 23" 5ms HDMI Full 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 40000:1 (ACM) - LCD Monitors

Thanks for any help. :)

What psu do you have?

pci-e 2.0 cards are backwards compatible so it will work fine. I ran my gtx260 in an old asus skt 939 board for fun.

It would be nice to go to the 4890 if you could swing it. the 4870 1gb is a nice card though.

As for which you should get first I believe that gpu's will drop more in price than monitors so it may be best to go monitor first.

650W Antec blue Neopower or something like that.

Thanks. Was just making sure. :)

Yeah.. I really want the 4890, but the 4870 is just so cheap it's hard not to go with it. Guess I'll just get the monitor and hope the 4890 drops quite a bit. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom