HTPC Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Risensun

Baseband Member
Im wanting to put together a cheap build that will be able to play all my avi videos on my tv and also watch stuff like hulu.

Could someone put together a build that is cheap but will still be able to handle all this?

For the graphics card, i found this one on sale. Its is necessary that the card have hdmi with audio so this one looks like a good deal for only $20

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GV-R435OC-512I Radeon HD 4350 512MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Iv found that to watch hulu takes a decent cpu because of all the decompression, Id like to know what the cheapest is that I can get away with, probably one of the cheaper dual cores?

Other than the gpu and cpu, all I need is the motherboard, ram (2 gigs probably), and a psu, the rest I already have.

thanks for any input

Thanks for the input, ill have to look into onboard video, looks like a good solution.

As for the adapters I don't think they would work because having the HDMI deliver audio as well as video is a must for this situation, I'd have no audio otherwise.

no, a dedicated line for audio would not work, with this tv if you use the hdmi port for video then you cant use any other of the inputs for sound at the same time, if i use hdmi then it has to include the sound.

I'm pretty sure the onboard video card does allow you to pass audio through the DVI ports, when converted to HDMI.
If not, you could use something like an Asus Xonar HDAV

Vista or xp?
Audiophile or not?
size restrictions?
budget constraints? except cheap as possible.

undecided on what OS to use, thinking about using either linux MCE, Win7 RC or XP running xbmc

Audiophile, yes but the limitations are goinig to be in the tv, not the computer so im not going to mess with a dedicated sound card or anything.

size restrictions? not sure what you are referring too, ill be making a custom case for this so size of components isn't really a factor

as for price, id like to keep the cost of the psu, ram, mobo, and cpu under $200
US

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom