2mb HD4890s Xfire, or 2 1mb GTX285s?

Status
Not open for further replies.

myowngod

In Runtime
Currently have one EVGA GTX285, was looking to pick up another soon, especially given I will be hopefully getting a 30" monitor soon :) - was wondering... I could pick up another 285 for Sli, or I could sell my GTX285 and grab 2 2mb 4890s... in the end it would cost about the same... question is... which would perform better stock and OC'ed? I can't seem to find a comparison, since normally you wouldnt compare the 2mb to the 1... but that is what this is... any opinions? temps don't really matter, nor does fan noise, as both will be getting watercooled either way...

Um, the 285s will perform better, by quite a bit. Seeing as a 4890 is roughly as powerful as a 275 before OCing, and about a 280 once OCd. I'd get another 285, much better choice.

For the money the 4980's would be a better choice if you were starting from scratch, but seeing as you already have a GTX285, and it would cost about the same the switch as it would just getting a second 285, might as well stick with it. It'll perform better.

I don't think you would use a whole lot more than 2gb of memory, really. 4gb would be like peeing in a lake for most games, even on a 30".

you are correct, my mistake... I know the GTX285 outperforms the 4890, but what about that extra memory? how does that factor into the equation?
At 30" the 2gb from the gtx 285's would probably not be exceeded, for the most part the 2gb on the 4890s is just a gimmick. If you were to sell your gtx 285 and get two 1gb 4890s then it could be well worth the deal, i imagine that would save you quite alot. But if you dont care about the money factor then grab another gtx 285. As said the 4890's are a bit faster then the gtx275 stock and about 10% beter with a good overclock. Also remember crossfire scales a bit better then SLi so the performance gap between gtx 285s and 4890s isnt too bad. Personally since they are wated cooler i would go with the 4890 to see what kinda overclock you can get, the xfx xxx is 1ghz at stock so you might be able to get some amazing speeds. Despite this, maximum performance seems to be the trend for your computer so you may be more pleased with the addition of another gtx 285.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom