AMD 790GX ATX motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

blue-lynx

In Runtime
Hey guys how'z everyone doing ?!
been a while..

I am all set to pair my AMD X2 250 Regor (3.0 Ghz) with an AMD motherboard.
Looking for an igp solution, I decided to go with the Hd3300 chipset instead of
the hd 3200.

Here are the two motherboards I am having a tough time deciding:

GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-UD4H and ASRock AOD790GX/128M

Which of these is a good motherboard?

I wont be overclocking my cpu so which of these will stay cooler on stock settings with stock heat sink and fan?

One of these boards boasts 140W support. Does that mean it will support a cpu that draws a maximum of 140W or is it for the entire system?

all advice is appreciated and looking for atx motherboard only with reliability and amd igp that supports this processor.

Newegg.com - JetWay JHA08-LF AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

I'd get that instead of either of those boards... from the looks of it this board has more chokes vs either of the other two

Btw, you do know that the only difference between an HD 3200 and HD 3300 is a 250mhz in Core increase right? It would be easier to get a cheap Jetway JHA06 (780G chipset) and buy the HD 4350 which is going for $20, and then OC the IGP from 500mhz to 750mhz

Newegg.com - JetWay JHA08-LF AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

I'd get that instead of either of those boards... from the looks of it this board has more chokes vs either of the other two

Btw, you do know that the only difference between an HD 3200 and HD 3300 is a 250mhz in Core increase right? It would be easier to get a cheap Jetway JHA06 (780G chipset) and buy the HD 4350 which is going for $20, and then OC the IGP from 500mhz to 750mhz

I don't really think that choke thing is a huge deal. If i recall some guy just started talking about it and you had no idea what it was until he explained it to you. Besides him and you I've never seen chokes mentioned when looking at motherboards.

Regardless of chokes though, jetway is not a very good brand. Yeah this forum has some success stories, but just look at the newegg reviews. Yes newegg reviews are sometimes bad, but usually something that is DOA is not jsut a dumb reviewer. That board has way too many failures on newegg for it to be trusted.

Go with that gigabyte or even this...
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TFORCE TA790GX 128M AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

Hikari and I both have the board. Has great reviews. Can Overclock very well, and the onboard graphics are more than capable.

I don't really think that choke thing is a huge deal. If i recall some guy just started talking about it and you had no idea what it was until he explained it to you. Besides him and you I've never seen chokes mentioned when looking at motherboards.
It's called power regulation. It's important if you have a high-end CPU and you intend to overclock (or if you intend to get a high-end CPU and overclock it)

I'm sure my K9A2 Platinum was holding back the overclock of my Phenom II 940. I know it was holding back my 6000+ a bit.
Regardless of chokes though, jetway is not a very good brand.
Brand isn't everything. Every board is different, and every brand will have boards of varying quality.
The HA06-GT is actually quite a good board, and so is the HA07 (actually, it's basically the same board). I don't know what the HA08 is actually like, though 9 reviews isn't exactly a very large sample size to decide on a board's quality. For all we know, there could be a hundred people with the board happy with it who did not write any reviews.

Still, I'd suggest the HA06-GT. I would go so far as to say it's proven itself a good board. Being from Jetway isn't going to magically turn it into something bad.

If you get it in combo with a Phenom II 940, it's quite cheap:
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
That's hardly more than an X2 250 plus 790X-UD4P would cost you.
Though the 790X-UD4P is quite a good board too. It's what I'm planning on replacing my dead MSI K9A2 Platinum with (partly because I need 8 SATA ports)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom