PSU or Mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trevon

Beta member
Yesterday I unhooked my pc to work on a friends machine. When I was done I plugged everything back in but when I pressed the power button nothing happened. I built this machine about a year and a half ago and havent had any problems. I took out an old PSU and plugged it into the mobo and still nothing. No fans will come on. No sounds, beeps or anything only a single light is lit on the mobo and it turns off when the PSU is unplugged. I double checked the front panel connectors to see if the power sw had come out but they all appear to be seated correctly. Is it th PSU or Mobo or something else?
Here are my specs.
Mobo: MSI P6n SLI Platinum
PSU: Thermaltake 700w Toughpower
VId: ATI 3870x2 saphire
Mem: 4 gigs Corsair XMS

Does the power supply have an on/off switch? Is the cpu fan plugged in? Reseat the main 20 or 24 pin connector. Unplug the drives one at a time to see if one of them is shorting the system. Try clearing the CMOS.

It could be either one of them. Try your power supply in your friends PC, that will tell you if it's good or not.

Yes it has an on/off switch tried it both ways. Cpu fan is plugged in, check. Reset the 24 pin, check. Unplugged the drives and ran the least amount of hardware, check. Cleared Cmos, check. When I tried another PSU in my machine had same problem, but I only had the 24pin plugged in and the 8 pin on the mobo.

Broken switch or switch wire maybe ? You could unhook the connector from the switch to the mobo and jumper a screwdriver across the power on pins on the mobo with the power already off to see if it will start up. That would bypass the switch and let you know if the mobo is ok to power up and might single out the switch or switch wire(s) as a possible problem. Just an idea.

ok gonna try this morning.

I just put my PSU in an old PC and the fans kicked on HD started spinning up. So that appears to be good. Im going to check the switch next to see if its that before I ship the Mobo back to MSI.
Trevon

I've had this problem before, the problem could be that there is not enough pressure between the Processor and the Motherboard. In short Tighten down the Heatsink and see if it works.

I've had this problem before, the problem could be that there is not enough pressure between the Processor and the Motherboard. In short Tighten down the Heatsink and see if it works.

I find that unlikely; how do you suppose that occured?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom