Something Broke, Help figure out what

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icewolf

Baseband Member
Ok so i think it might be most likely the mother board but just to make sure i want to ask you guys.

Basically i was shoving another gig of ram (my mother board can handly 4 gigs, this would have been the 2nd gig) and ones i put it in and turned on my computer it instantly shut down, like someone just pulled the plug. Is there a way to tell if its my mother board or my CPU that died (oh on my case i now have a red light constantly blinking)

wait a second....you put the stick in while the computer was running?

Well do you have any idea why anything burned out? RAM wouldn't cause a short or anything.

my other guess is maybe because of my video card, i went from 128 mbs to 1gig but my CPU should have been able to handle it. I installed the video card in the morning and left my computer on until like 12 hours later. I come home turn it off stick the ram in and i go to turn it on and it starts working and then just shuts off

what do u mean by cycling the power on the monitor? and reseting the CMOS is just unplugging the 3 pin thing right?

i just reseted the CMOS and it started working. Thanks a ton!!!!!!!!!! i thought it was the mother board. should i try sticking the ram again or no?

i just compared the ram currently in my computer and the new one, and they slightly dont match, its like the little hole in the middle is like 1 cm off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom