SLI vs. Crossfire

Status
Not open for further replies.

808Alaska

In Runtime
Howzit going everyone, i just wanted to hear some opinions that people had about the differences between SLI (Nvidia) or Crossfire (ATI). Is their anything you guys like or dis like about the brands, and which one would you prefer?

Reason being is because i am looking at building a Gaming/ Video Editing/ Audio Recording rig in about 5 months or so and i wanted some input from others. Thanks for the help in advance.

in my experience I am favorable to Nvidia, why? Ati's cards seem better bang for the buck, but my GTX285 fan at 100% sounds like my HD4870 fan did at 50%... seems to be the case with most of thier cards.. also heard Sli is a little more seamless/fluid - not as many issues..

Howzit going everyone, i just wanted to hear some opinions that people had about the differences between SLI (Nvidia) or Crossfire (ATI). Is their anything you guys like or dis like about the brands, and which one would you prefer?

Reason being is because i am looking at building a Gaming/ Video Editing/ Audio Recording rig in about 5 months or so and i wanted some input from others. Thanks for the help in advance.

I'd go with AMD because of the bang for the buck available, and better chipsets (if you aren't going i7 that is, because that way its compatible with either)

However, I still say stick with AMD, because Havok will replace PhysX edge that nVidia has over AMD and Stream is taking away the CUDA edge that nVidia has again. Unless you are a dedicated folder, you could go either way, but I'd recommend AMD.

I disagree with all of the above. AMD isn't taking away any edge. Actually AMD is probably close to falling over the edge.

Steam is taking away the CUDA edge that nVidia has again.
Wait what does Steam have to with CUDA? A digital distro service vs. a C-increasing-speed-thing :confused:

Anyway despite prefering nVidia, I'd have to say Crossfire since many more chipsets support it. Excluding LGA1336, as Vernong said.

And finding a chipset that does SLI and OC's well is hard! I settled for my mobo below.

finding a chipset that does SLI and OC's well is hard! I settled for my mobo below.
Was hard anyway, don't get me started on my 680i, that thing was horrible. But the 1366 socket has brought new life to SLI and overclock ability and i much rather the intel chipsets.

I am going to have to disagree here with most guys, i dont prefer sli/crossfire because ones methodology is better then the others, i haven't actually used any before so i cant comment on fluidness, but essentially what i'm saying is that i prefer sli or crossfire over each other depending on which has better performance for money with different cards. For exmaple in the high price range i would love gtx 285 sli but if i wanted to spend the least i can then make no bones about it i would be going with 4890 crossfire. I still do believe nvidia cards just have that cleaner looking style about them, AMD card seem to just be less attractive but thats what i like about them, it has been known that they are sometimes loud but with the new card sat least this is easily fixed.

As for the technical difference I'm not one to say which is more effective, all i know is ATI cards split work lot across different groups of pixels while sli does half the resolution each.

Wait what does Steam have to with CUDA? A digital distro service vs. a C-increasing-speed-thing :confused:

Anyway despite prefering nVidia, I'd have to say Crossfire since many more chipsets support it. Excluding LGA1336, as Vernong said.

And finding a chipset that does SLI and OC's well is hard! I settled for my mobo below.

Stream... I meant Stream o_O

You got me there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom