PC Not booting after storm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mekismo

Solid State Member
Hi all, very stressed out. I foolishly had my PC on during a storm, was about to shut it down when both my screens went black, there was no powercut and the fans etc within the PC continued spinning as if the PC was still on.

I turned the PC off and attempted to reboot it, same again, fans spin up, there is no beep and the monitors are blank screens. I've opened the case up checked every connection and removed the GFX card and reseated it. Still no joy. I have no spare components to check for faults so i am at a loss.

I have a hunch it is either the motherboard or PSU, wondering though if anyone could advise me further?

Thanks in advance, John.

Did you have a modem installed and hooked to the phone line? If the answer is yes then take it out and see if it will boot-up.

An electrical storm can be bad news and it could of damaged almost any to all of your components. The Modem is always the 1st thing to check with the power supply next.

I use a cable connection, it goes through a cable modem into a netgear router and then into my PC via a network cable.

The power supply is your next most likely suspect. But the storm could of fried almost anything. Try unplugging your drives and such 1 at a time and see if it boots. If not you'll want to try a new power supply.
Does anything smell burnt? It may smell like cat urine.

I couldn't smell anything burnt. One thing i had noticed which may or may not be relevent is that the Power LED on the front of my case does not light up anymore.

Unfortunately i have no means of testing any components as i don't have any spare parts. I guess i'll have to take it into a repair store and get the fault diagnosed, the parts are as far as i am aware are still under warranty. I have a Coolermaster PSU which carries a 3 year warranty and an ASUS motherboard which also carries 3 yr warranty. Just need to find out what is faulty so i can get it replaced.

Cooler Master may not stand behind the Power Supply because of an act of nature clause. If it was plugged into a surge protector you could go after them.

Depending on your budget, you may want to skip the repair shop. This could get expensive, with no modem I'm 99% positive the power supply is dead. The question is did it damage anything else. Your fans are spinning so the 12 volt line is still partially alive. But if the 3.3 or 5 volt lines spiked it may have damaged the mobo and/or cpu and memory. So unless your PC is new it may be cheaper or smarter just to plan an upgrade.

List your PC's system specs and well recommend a suitable power supply. However, it may be best to buy a power supply capable of supporting newer hardware incase more than that is damaged.

Disconnect your hard drive, Optical Drive and power supply from your motherboard. Both Power and Data Cables.
Then press the on switch a few time times.
Just plug in your power supply and your VGA card. See if your PC still get into P.O.S.T.
If it proceeded to boot,, then see about connnecting the rest of your devices.
If that does not, repeat the same thing again. However leave your PC alone for about 30 minutes.

Reason why I am suggesting this is to clean any static charge that might be stopping the computer from booting.

I use a cable connection, it goes through a cable modem into a netgear router and then into my PC via a network cable.

Lighting strike will travel along any thng metal. This also included network cable. I didhave to re-cable and re-network an house once because a of a house getting a direct lighting strike.

My PC spec is as follows, i built it about 15 months ago:

Coolermaster 650w PSU
Asus P5N-E SLI Mobo
Pentium 4 Quad Core 6600
Gigabyte 8800 GTS
2 x Corsair 2gb Ram 800mhz XMS2-6400
Seagate Barraucuda 500gb
Sony DVD RW 16x
Coolermaster Tower Case (cant remember model)

Ok, I tried some things this morning. Unplugged everything from the motherboard, pressed the power button a few times then plugged the motherboard back in and booted it, i got a loud constant beep, when i plugged the power lead into the GFX card and rebooted the beep was gone, fans whirring and no boot to post. Also tried booting with no ram/1 stick of ram....nothing.

I might be a bit off, but since it wouldn't post, and since the long constant beep stopped, I wonder if its the video card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom