Hard Drive Issue...

Status
Not open for further replies.

echox91

Baseband Member
This is really upsetting me. My hard drive on my laptop is divided into 2 parts, one with 50 gb, the other with 200+ gb. My problem is that a lot of stuff I install always goes to the 50 gb one, which is the C:/ drive that's almost full now.
ex: call of duty 4 and microsoft office 2007 installed directly into my C drive.

How can I redirect future installations to my D drive, which is 200+ gb? Thanks in advance!

It depends on the application being installed. Some will offer you the option to choose the install location. You will then have to choose where to install. but other than that you would have to modify the Registry in order to made the other partition the default install location which is tricky at best.

How can I redirect future installations to my D drive, which is 200+ gb? Thanks in advance!

Instead of pressing NEXT, NEXT, NEXT, NEXT, NEXT, NEXT, NEXT, NEXT, OK the when you install program, you might want to read what is on the screen. Especially that part where it says Custom Install and Install Path.

Change the drive later from C to D.

Then proceed to install your programs.

All programs by default will install on C Drive. Most programs can be install on other drivers. However keep in mind, you might have some program that need to run from C?

What OS are you using?If it's windows Vista, I would be suggestion that you resize your partition to at least 80Gb. 40Gb and Vista fill up very fast.

The other thing that you can do is redirect your Documents to D Drive too. Open your start menu and right click MY DOCUMENTS, select properties, then location. From there you will be able to change your default location for your documents. If you are using Vista, then you are going to need to do the same thing with Music, Videos and Pictures (if you use those other folders too)

yeah i directed like every folder i use to the d drive. it seems that my best option is to resize..so ill give that a go as soon as i can find a reliable program.

and..GParted says there are no available mirrors to download the files from...

Are you running vista? you can resize partitions in vista.

START --> Control Panels --> Administrative Tools --> Computer Management --> Disk Management

Right click on your partition and you can re-size your partition.

i fixed my problem...but in a way i wasn't sure how lol

disk management at first didnt work cuz i couldnt expand anything (it was always greyed out)..only allocate space. in the end i somehow deleted my d drive, was able to then put whatever was there into my c drive. then my whole operating system died so i had to install another one..everything got erased except the edited hard drive. i was happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom