SATA [AHCI] ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NautalusX

Solid State Member
In the Windows experience index I have a 5.9 because of the lowest score, the disk read speed. I have SATA harddrive and SATA DVD drive.

SATA#1 configuration [Compatible] [Enhanced]
What does enhanced do?

Configure SATA#1 as [IDE] [RAID] [AHCI]

In the manual it says AHCI is for best performance, but it also says that my motherboard and SATA drives must support AHCI. I don't know if they support it or not. Here is what I have please tell me if they support it and if I choose AHCI will make a difference in transfer speed or I have to do more than just that to enable it?

Motherboard: Newegg.com - Foxconn Renaissance LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

DVD Burner: Newegg.com - Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD/CD Rewritable Drive - CD / DVD Burners

Hard Drive: Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Once in windows 7 64-bit, how do I check the transfer speeds of the drives?

In the AHCI options there is one that says [Hot Plug] what does this do?

Alright, first off, what OS are you running?
Secondly, what are your specs?

EDIT: Actually, you are probably running Win7, since the score differs from Vista to Win7. If you're aiming for the max score of 7.9 in Win7 (though I don't know why you would care about that), you'd need an SSD to pick up the slack.

What option are you set to now? If you're not set to AHCI now then you'd have to reinstall windows in order to switch from IDE to AHCI mode.

As for checking drive speens... HDTune and HDTach are good ones for that.

And Hot Plug means just that..you can unplug/plug in a drive while the PC is running, just like hot-plugging USB devices (you don't have to have the computer off to plug in or unplug a USB device).

HD Tach says Average Read 77.3 MB/s
Then over there to the left there's a red bar that says 198 MB/s

In the BIOS I have it set to IDE.
Its supposed to read 3 G/s

What about DVD burner transfer speed or whatever? How do I see what that is?

When I get my pre ordered 7 in the mail I'll change it to AHCI.

So does my DVD burner/MOBO/HDD support AHCI?
Will it harm it if I change it to AHCI and it doesn't support it?

Your board obviously supports AHCI otherwise it wouldn't have that option; and all SATA II HDD's are AHCI capable as well.

It's never going to read at a 3.0Gb/s speed, btw. They don't even reach SATA I speeds of 1.5gb/s. That's merely what its rated at, not what its going to transfer at.

It's never going to read at a 3.0Gb/s speed, btw. They don't even reach SATA I speeds of 1.5gb/s. That's merely what its rated at, not what its going to transfer at.
Well, the SATA bus can transfer at 3Gb/s. But the hard drive can't read from the disk platters nearly that fast. So it can't saturate the SATA bus.

What option are you set to now? If you're not set to AHCI now then you'd have to reinstall windows in order to switch from IDE to AHCI mode.

Is this true even if your copy of Windows has the AHCI driver slipstreamed? I have accidentally swapped between AHCI and IDE mode with Ubuntu before and booted up each time with zero issues. I had just assumed as long as the AHCI driver existed on the Windows install, you could swap back and forth. *shrug*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom