Accidently converted Fat32 External media drive to NTFS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon go for it. As you've already stated numerous times just copying the data across via recovery software isn't an option. it seems this is your only hope..(am I the only one who hears those two words together and immediately thinks star wars?)

According to the first link you posted, if you can list the files then you should be golden. So yeah, I'd say give it a try. Make sure you post up and let us know how it goes.

Well its rescanning now (the first scan was rly fast but this one is way slower). It first scanned for tables and now it's scanning for clusters, after 1hours its at like 10%, so I'll be leaving this overnight and give an update tomorow. This is actually a pretty interesting subject to read on ;P

Wait a minute, does a media external fat32 drive even have a boot sector?

A external drive can have a boot sector. Since there are OS's out there that can be installed to external media it is possible. Since you are using Windows it is unlikely as Vista and Win7 both do not offer this option by default.

Well, does an external that does NOT have a os on it have a boot sector? I don't want to be writing a bootsector if there shouldn't be any in the first place?

If there is no OS on there then there would be no boot sector.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom