$600 gaming computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
it depends, in a year or two, or even less time, a single 4870 might not cut it anymore. this way he can just add another one in the future when they will cost even less than what they do now, and crossfired will be able to max out pretty much any game, instead of spending the same amount or more again in the future on another single gpu.

it would allow for future gpu expansion. and its not like going from a x4 to a x3 is a huge downstep in performance. they will pretty much give the same performance in gameplay.

Yeah, but a fourth core is more useful than two x16 slots... You can still crossfire with 8x perfectly fine, I read a few articles and comparison reviews about it before I purchased my mobo/cpu. The difference is hardly noticeable at all with ati cards, nvidia cards will show a small increase with high levels of anti-aliasing.

If you're going with a 4870 or ati cards there is no reasonable gain in performance with two x16 slots. If it was a higher end build build with a bigger budget, then x16 would be a good choice. Budget builds are meant to give you bang for your buck. An extra $20 for no noticeable difference in general gaming doesn't seem like buck saving to me. :p

ah, i think we are discussing two different things here >.<

the combo i suggested has the 720 triple core and the asus mobo which has two x16 lanes which would allow for crossfire.

the mobo in the combo with the 940 quad and the biostar mobo only has 1 x16 slot, thus, no crossfire.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

i fully get what you mean, and i know that there is no real noticable diff between xfireing in x16 and x8 except for the loss of a few fps. but that wasent what i was getting at. :)

all i was saying was that the biostar mobo with the 940 quad only has one x16 lane, whereas the 720 with the asus i suggested has 2, which would give the possibility of xfiring another 4870 down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom