Will this work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lolololage

Beta member
Hi, im attempting (with some help from a friend) to build a pc from scratch for the first time.

Its going to be a PC based around gaming, but i mainly want to double check that these parts will work together, and not blow each other up when i put them together!

Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3P Intel P45
MotherBoard

320 GB Samsung HD322HJ Spinpoint F1
Hard Drive

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700
Processor

Pioneer DVR-217FBK 20x DVD±R, 12x
DVD Drive

SilverStone TJ04B Black Aluminium
Case

1GB XFX HD 4870 XXX, PCI-E 2.0
Video Card

650W TX Corsair PSU, single 12V
Power Supply

OCZ Platinum Series 4GB (2x2GB)
Memory

Akasa AK-965 CPU Cooler
Heatsink (for processor)

Belkin F5D7001UK 125Mbps
Wireless internet card (only have access to wireless net)

Out of these parts i'm thinking i have a full working machine (without monitor, keyboard, mouse ect as i have these already)

Is there anything i'm missing or doing that is drastically wrong? The aim was to make a decent machine at an affordable cost, this one comes in at around £650

Thank you very much for your time

I have the graphics card you have in the build and its great for the money but be sure to install the catalyst control center and enable ATI over drive and bump up the fan speed to about 40 percent. Otherwise the auto control will have it idle at 80C instead 40-50c

Im not 100% sure on conversion rates but for about 50 bucks more you can get a terabyte hard drive with the same specs.

1TB Western Digital WD10EADS Caviar Green, SATA 3Gb/s, IntelliPower, 32MB Cache, NCQ - Scan.co.uk

I have the graphics card you have in the build and its great for the money but be sure to install the catalyst control center and enable ATI over drive and bump up the fan speed to about 40 percent. Otherwise the auto control will have it idle at 80C instead 40-50c

Im not 100% sure on conversion rates but for about 50 bucks more you can get a terabyte hard drive with the same specs.

1TB Western Digital WD10EADS Caviar Green, SATA 3Gb/s, IntelliPower, 32MB Cache, NCQ - Scan.co.uk

To be honest, i'm very unlikely to go through 320gb. Never mind a terrabyte. So it really will be a pointless buy.

However I am interested on your help on the video card. How easy is it to do this? Will it affect anything like warranty or are there any other downsides to over clocking the fan?

if you could strech the extra money for the q9400 it is well worth it,

BX80580Q9400 - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400, S775, Yorkfield Core, 2.66 GHz, 1333MHz, 6MB Cache, 8x Ratio, 95W, Retail - Scan.co.uk

i have a q9300 and compared to my friends q6600 i can easily tell mine is alot faster.

better overclocker too, i got mine to 4GHz

Because i've been working on a budget i really did have to stop somewhere. I was hoping to keep the PC to less than £700 once its fully functioning, including any software or add ons i may need.

And anyway, I think that the processor i have should last a while at least, and if i have to upgrade at some point in the future i should be able to (My student loan is running thin this year!)

Thanks again for all the help, the only other issue that no one has answered is whether or not all these pieces are compatible. I presume that because no one has said they wont work, they will.. But i would like to be sure.

One other thing that has crossed my mind, do i have enough cooling on the machine? As far as i can see there is one fan on the case, one on the heat sink and i think there is one of the video card. Will this be sufficient?

Again, thanks for all the input guys.

To be honest, i'm very unlikely to go through 320gb. Never mind a terrabyte. So it really will be a pointless buy.

However I am interested on your help on the video card. How easy is it to do this? Will it affect anything like warranty or are there any other downsides to over clocking the fan?

Because i've been working on a budget i really did have to stop somewhere. I was hoping to keep the PC to less than £700 once its fully functioning, including any software or add ons i may need.

And anyway, I think that the processor i have should last a while at least, and if i have to upgrade at some point in the future i should be able to (My student loan is running thin this year!)

Thanks again for all the help, the only other issue that no one has answered is whether or not all these pieces are compatible. I presume that because no one has said they wont work, they will.. But i would like to be sure.

One other thing that has crossed my mind, do i have enough cooling on the machine? As far as i can see there is one fan on the case, one on the heat sink and i think there is one of the video card. Will this be sufficient?

Again, thanks for all the input guys.

yes everything will work fine together, and the stock cooling is sufficient as long as you are not going to overclock.

bumping up the fan speed on the video card is very easy, it does not void the warranty or any thing like that.

Thanks, i probably will go for that case then.

yes everything will work fine together, and the stock cooling is sufficient as long as you are not going to overclock.

bumping up the fan speed on the video card is very easy, it does not void the warranty or any thing like that.

Perfect, if i was to overclock (probably something i will look at at some point) what would everyone recommend?

What would be a sufficient overclock for the processor i have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom