I need help with my build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toasty411

Baseband Member
So far Ive got the

Case - Newegg.com - Thermaltake ArmorPlus(Armor+) VH6000BWS Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
and
Processor - Newegg.com - Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

I'm building this for a hardcore gaming machine. I'm going to salavge many parts from the computer I'm using right now. Such as the hard drives and disk drives. Im not sure if I can keep the PSU though. Its a 750w dell one.

Im confused about the motherboards. On the 920 i7 it lists QPI at 4.8 GT/s but every motherboard I see is 6.4. Now I assume this is the new FSB for these processors but are the motherboards that are 6.4 compatible with 4.8?

Id like a motherboard with only 2 PCI e 2.0 slots I dont need 3 or 4 and 2 PCI slots if you could. It also needs to be able to support some extra accessories like fans and a NZXT Sentry Something around 200 or more. Nothing super cheap and shoddy though. Id also like ram for it too if its not too much to ask.

Maybe theres a combo that I dont know about.

Here is a nice little mb ram combo for you to peruse.
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

It does have 3 pci-e x16 slots but you can plug any pci-e card into them but it does have 2 pci slots which is stating to get hard to find.

Is it just me or why do I only see 2 sata ports on the motherboard when it lists 8 :/

Nvm looks like they stacked them and there pointing off where you cant see them

What about a decent aftermarket CPU cooler?

Hah, 10 bucks for that plastic base awesome. The fan for the heatsink is that just an extra case mounted fan or do you attach that onto the heatsink?

You attach it to the heatsink. Unfortunately you need a mounting kit for most 1336 heatsinks. The Sunbeam is the best bank for you buck no doubt.

Go look at the prices for the TRUE and you have to get a mount kit (well at least it is metal) and your own fans but it rules. It will just cost you 3 to 4 times what the sunbeam costs.

This is the current power suppy I have. Im running a ATI 4870 and a quadcore. Do you think this would power the i7 and everything else?

This is the current power suppy I have. Im running a ATI 4870 and a quadcore. Do you think this would power the i7 and everything else?

it should be fine if you are talking about the dell one. not the best at all but 750w is more than enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom