A few questions about my current OC

Status
Not open for further replies.

IBM/PS1

In Runtime
I just started to OC my new pc. Here are the results.

I managed to get to 3.8ghz on stock volts with HTT off. My temps are peaking into the low 70's which is about as high as i would like to see them.

Is it safe to leave all the voltages on auto?

There are about 10 different voltage options on the p6t from asus and i don't understand any of them except the cpu core voltage.

Do my voltages and temps look ok?

Any other input is greatly appreciated.

In regards to ram

Should i leave them on default timings or should i set them to stock?

Attachments

• system SS.jpg
    system SS.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 47
Are you using the stock heatsink?

Your temps are higher than mine by 5-10 degrees at idle and about the same at load but I'm running at 4.2Ghz and it looks like you only stressed it for 30 minutes or so.

If your using the stock heatsink then I'd say you should reduce the speed until you can get the same temperatures with Hyper-Threading enabled.

I'm using the true 120
As i understood low 70's is perfectly safe for the i7 is it not ?
Idk how high your ambient temps are slay.
How long should i be running prime 95?

You probably need to lap your True. Here's a lapping kit but you can probably find all the stuff at at local Hardware and Auto Parts Store.

FrozenCPU Deluxe Heatsink Lapping Kit - FrozenCPU.com

low 70's are safe, but you should be going faster at the same temps or cooler. I'd say a minimun of 1 hour for a basic stress test, but more like at least overnite for a stability test. I live in Florida, in the summer I'm lucky to have an ambient temp of 75dF in the afternoon.

Are you using a push/pull on your true with dbl fans?
If i did lap the true, should i put new paste on the bottom of the heat sync or leave it clean and lapped?
Do you think i could drop my volts a touch and reduce my temps?
Should the heat sync be warm or cool? Currently it's cool to the touch.

I'm just using a single fan on both of my i7 systems, one has a true copper and the other is a standard true. Yes, you should replace the thermal paste, what paste are you using? Reducing your volts will drop your temps, but it will also reduce your oc, which we are trying to increase and add hyper-threading to. And your heatsink should be cool unless your touching the base, then it will be warm. I've got to wash-up and go get some lunch so I'll check your thread again in a few hours :D

I am using arctic silver paste.

Just to review. I put a small pea sized dot on the base of the heat sync (where it comes into contact with the top of the cpu and a pea sized drop on the cpu and just spread it around with a credit card. is that right? I heard some people say NOT to put any paste on the heat sync but the diagram instructed me too.

I have no problem lapping the heat sync but i feel a little big uneasy lapping the cpu.

I mean from what i've read the temps you get are based off alot of things like ambient temps, type of processor kind of mobo.

I'm not really oc'ing for benchmarking i just want some extra FPS in games.

In addition i've heard that having HT on doesn't really add alot of performance unless it's very multithread optimized. I was planning on leaving HT off in the summer and on in the fall and winter months when it's not so freakin hot outside.

I've been running prime95 for quite awhile now almost 1.5 hours and i see no signs of instability and all my temps are under 72C. I'm confident i could hit 4.0ghz on stock volts.

I think i have a few old case fans lying around so i might install one at the bottom of my haf case to draw cool air in. Then rig another fan to pull air into the heat sync and the back will just push out.

Just one more question

CPU-z states my cpu is going at 3.8ghz

According to windows it's 3.64ghz

According to prime95 it;s at 3.6ghz

Which one is accurate?

While AS5 use to be the King of the Thermal Pastes, it has moved way down on the list. Get some Tuniq TX-2 :D

Newegg.com - Tuniq TX-2 Cooling Thermal Compound - Thermal Compound / Grease

While some people lap there cpu's I'll never recommend it unless you can actually see that it's bowed. But your true will drop your temps into the mid to high 30's if you lap it properly. And that's with HT enabled and at 4 GHz.

Generally speaking the temps you see are all based off of the things you listed above, but only to a point. Generally speaking your temps are to high for your setup especially with all the voltages at stock settings and hyper-threading turned off.

With a D stepping i7 920 you should easily reach 4 Ghz with HT enabled and a mild cpu vcore and cpu vtt voltage increase and still have lower temps than you have now. Or at least a lower idle temp and simular load temps.

I actually have some tx-2 paste from my old tuniq tower.

Why do the idle temps really matter.

As long as the load temps are reasonable i don't really care about the idle temps.

I think my ambient temps have something to do with it partly. My ambient is running close to 30C right now and the airflow in the room is bad.

Update: I lowered the Cpu core volt to 1.225 and i've been running stable for nearly an hour now. Temps are stopping at 72 instead of 76.
Update: Nvm i just got an error on cpu 1 :( guess it needs a bit more voltage.

It was a real ***** to get that tank of a heat sync in and i really don't want to take the board out.

Currently i'm happy the performance and such so i might leave it for a bit then reapply later.

Are all my voltages good to be set on auto or is my MB gonna do some weird ****?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom