Upgrade my CPU to??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikesx4911

In Runtime
The CPU that I have now is AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 6000+, socket type is AM2, I would like to upgrade to a quad core, anyone have any recommendations? Im willing to spend some money but I dont want to spend a **** load lol. Im still in college.

What is your motherboard's make+model? Do you know if the socket it has is AM2 or AM2+?

And how much exactly do you mean by a '**** load'?

A **** load is no more than 250 lol. And my motherboard is a
Manufacturer
ASUSTeK Computer INC.
Product Name
M3A78-EM
Version
Rev X.0x

I believe thats a AM2. I was shopping on newegg and I kinda like this one

oh but i just noticed i really need a am2+ they dont make quads for am2. ok let me go check my comp

ok i looked up my motherboard THANK GOD its a AM2+ socket lol
Newegg.com - ASUS M3A78-EM AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards motherboard specs

I was shopping around though and I think this cpu would be a good choice

Newegg.com - AMD Phenom 9950 Agena 2.6GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor - Processors - Desktops

I def would like to overclock it to 3ghz. Whats your suggestion?

You'd be better off getting a Phenom II; probably the 'AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition', which is about £130 here, so likely around $150 yonder States.

Do not waste your money on the phenom. Get a Phenom II.

In that price range I would get this for $120:
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black Processor - Processors - Desktops

still in your price range but $245:
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

You need at least bios version 1401 for the 720 and version 1602 for the 955 so you would most likely need to update your bios to use these cpu's but they are supported by your board. ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

Do not waste your money on the phenom. Get a Phenom II.

In that price range I would get this for $120:
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black Processor - Processors - Desktops

still in your price range but $245:
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

You need at least bios version 1401 for the 720 and version 1602 for the 955 so you would most likely need to update your bios to use these cpu's but they are supported by your board. ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

hmmm am3 works on my motherboard?? :eek:

click the link to asus I gave you. scroll down and select the cpu support tab. That shows all the compatible cpu's for your board. Bask in the lists glory.

Yes you can :)

You will need to update your bios to run them.

yep great cpu that is the first one I linked to. Do not count on unlocking the 4th core. I give you about a 10% chance of being successful. Even without an unlocked 4th core the X3 is a great cpu for your money.

run cpuz CPUID to check your bios version. you need 1401 or higher. A bios flash is relatively easy to perform if you need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom