Building new system, can't decide btwn 3 graphx card, input mucho appreciato!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyrone

Baseband Member
So I want a 1gb 256bit card.

originally I was gona get an alienware aurora but I've found that while I may not get the awesome pro set up of such a unit I'm going to save about $600 building my own pc; it will be my second embark.

I'm lookin at an asus nforce board, amd athlon 64 kuma, 2gigz 1066 ddr2, 1tb hdd, uhh what else, oh ya, dreadfully enough, to attain my desire to game im uploading winxp homw on my hdd just for that soul purpose. all websurfing and whatever else like music recording, same hdd, different boot up for linux :D

so right now im looking at the evga gts 200 1gb 256bit (all i can afford out of the gtx/gts cards) are these better then the 9 series of nvidia or is it moreso a pref in ocing? I'm having the darnest time finding detailed info on the differences in those series.

The second card Im just now beginning to consider is the 4870 radeon hd maybe saphirre or other good brand. Its funny coz Ive always been inclined w nvidia "the way its meant to be played" and yadda but I remember when I built my first system, nvidia had hit the scene taking 3dfx to the geforce 2s 3s and 4, but when they came out w the 5200-5900 they just kind of fell back and ATi finally did something write and took nvidia to the floor w the 9200-9800pro cards, and so I went w the 9600pro 128. Could it be that the same thing is happening to me again now that I'm readying my saved funs for this new investment/virtual venture through the planes of digital catastrophe?

and the 3rd card Im wondering of I need a little more help on. Again returning toi my uncertainty of differences in the 200 and the 9 series from nvidia. what is with the 9400-9800 gt gs gso and gtx series? I'm just looking to straight game, not gona be takin adv. of any crossfire or sli anytime soon and oc was nvr really my thang, not for now anyway, so w that in my enduringf at least the nxt yr to see what happens, whats good for me and it would be everso returned in favor if someone could tell me bout these cards.

yeah i been outa the scene lately but here i am

pzl

what psu do you have?

what is your budget?

the gtx2xx series is better than the 9xxx series.

1gb 200 series are you looking at the 275 or 285?

The ati 4890 is a great value right now at around $200

hey man thanks for replying , especially so quickly! I was looking at either

EVGA 01G-P3-N981-TR GeForce 9800 GT 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI going for 85$ or the gts 250 lgb 256b superclocked edition for $154. I think its btwn those two cards now in fact, leaving out ati unless u can truly convince me otherwise, not saying itd be hard to do.

edit: I was lookin to spend under $1000 in all. funny enuf ive only gona about $115(price with gts 250 card btw) over budget so far which is cool and that includes shipping, an awesome monitor and everything. keepn it under $1200 4sure

also if i do go w ati wont i have to change up the mobo? its an nforce and i dont really wana switch that up coz then i gota go and change a fewer of other specs. again, not planning to take adv of sli or crossfire anytime soon

edit again: sry man. 700w psu thats what

go for a gts250 over the 9800gt for sure. The 4850 1gb would be the ATI card that is better than the gts250 for around the same price. I prefer nvidia to ati myself so I will not spend too much time convincing you but they are a better value at this point in time.

Useful thread for comparing vid cards.
http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/graphics-card-rankings-139202/

Put up you full build list if you have not ordered yet so we can take a peek and perhaps help you tweak it a bit.

ive seen it in other threads on here. How do I just take my newegg cart and get the list over here without copy/paste coz thats messy right now cant just select the items, all the prices, policies, and images want to be selected when I scrolled highlight/select to copy paste......

ill just write it out..

plextor dvd/cd rom/rw w lightscribe.

nzxt guardian 921 mid tower case

samsung 1tb hdd 2700rpm

acer 21.5" widescreen lcd hdmi and all the bells n whistles

asus m3n72-D mobo

evga nividia geforce 9800gt 1gb 256b sli OR something else within a formidable price range keeping under $1200. Maybe the gts 250 overclocked edition for $154 so now u feelin what I'm willin to work w? The gts would put me at $1155 overall cost so that leaves me $45 on the up for a better card if you have any good suggestions. I just think $85 for a 9800gt is unbeatable.

ocz modxtream 700w psu certified 80 plus sli ready, modular active pfc

logitech 2.1 spkrs

logitech kb

logitech trackball mouse (frak yeah trackballs rule your FACE!)

arctic silver 5 compound

hyper x 2x 1gb ddr2 1066 m for 2gb sli ready

correction made*amd athlon 64 2x 7850 kuma 2.8ghz black edition

winxp home sp3

coolermaster, 3 case fans 120mm at 90cfn

zalman CNPS 7500 Cu LED 110mm 2ball cpu fan and heatsink copper plated through and through fins

edit: ahah! I knew it! U can search through all the newegg inventory search for the 2.8ghz kuma but u wont find it lest u specify terms in the search field, lol, tricky newegg always hiding the good deals.

Well I would wait you can do much better than that. You are at $1115 :eek:

I do not have time to put something together at the moment but for $1200 budget with monitor, keyboard, mouse, trackball FTW, OS and speakers we can get you something way nicer.

well sweet man. just let me know when u do have the time and post it hither or what have you, I'm sure the thread will still be here. I look forward to seeing something way nicer as you say...hmm coz man I was really tryn for my budget., Hey man u gota admit tho the monitor with this package is a good deal too

edit: and I quote: "edit: ahah! I knew it! U can search through all the newegg inventory search for the 2.8ghz kuma but u wont find it lest u specify terms in the search field, lol, tricky newegg always hiding the good deals."

that being said, with the 9800gt i am at $1137.18 of a $1200(capped) budget with $68 to spare on a better gpu.

Well here's a tentative build.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK - Desktop Memory
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drives - Internal Hard Drives
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100259-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
Newegg.com - NZXT Guardian 921 CS-NT-GD921-B Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Newegg.com - LG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 22X DVD-R 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners
Newegg.com - Acer X223Wbd Black 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 2500:1 - LCD Monitors
Newegg.com - Logitech Classic Black 104 Normal Keys USB Standard Keyboard 200 - Keyboards
Newegg.com - Logitech Marble Gray 4 Buttons USB or PS/2 Wired TrackBall Mouse - Mouse
Newegg.com - Logitech S-220 17 Watts 2.1 Multimedia Speaker System - Speakers

All that comes to a total of $1,270.10 after shipping, then you get 75 bucks back in MIRs, making this a total of 1195.10 after shipping.

Your old build was waaaaay overpriced. The 7850 should be used to builds that have a budget of around 500 bucks, not 1200. With this build you basically get better everything.

There's some room to tweak, but this is probably the best bang for your 1200 bucks.

Well here's a tentative build.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK - Desktop Memory
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drives - Internal Hard Drives
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100259-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
Newegg.com - NZXT Guardian 921 CS-NT-GD921-B Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Newegg.com - LG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 22X DVD-R 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners
Newegg.com - Acer X223Wbd Black 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 2500:1 - LCD Monitors
Newegg.com - Logitech Classic Black 104 Normal Keys USB Standard Keyboard 200 - Keyboards
Newegg.com - Logitech Marble Gray 4 Buttons USB or PS/2 Wired TrackBall Mouse - Mouse
Newegg.com - Logitech S-220 17 Watts 2.1 Multimedia Speaker System - Speakers

All that comes to a total of $1,270.10 after shipping, then you get 75 bucks back in MIRs, making this a total of 1195.10 after shipping.

Your old build was waaaaay overpriced. The 7850 should be used to builds that have a budget of around 500 bucks, not 1200. With this build you basically get better everything.

There's some room to tweak, but this is probably the best bang for your 1200 bucks.

i second this build. but with a GTX 260 core 216 if that tickles your fancy.

interesting... well i hear that western digital has kind of gone down the drain w their hdd just losing it after only a few months. Im also trying to stay away from intel. I'm kind of partial to kingston hyper x memory for some reason. and if not to be too picky I enjoy my choice of nvidia, though you are slightly waivering my decision. I will have to further consider that route. thank you for the build, it is now a running candidate. Any others?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom