Some quick help with 2 video cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spit-wad

Bake a Pretty Cake!
8800GT 512mb PCI-E
nVidia2 MX200 PCI

Previously I had my monitor and TV hooked up to the 8800gt.

I want to purchase a 2nd monitor, but still have my TV hooked up so I can watch movies on it.

I'm trying to install the mx200 with my TV plugged into it. I did it, but I was getting no picture on my monitor hooked up to the 8800gt.

So I took out the mx200 and booted up with only my monitor plugged into the 8800gt - it wasn't recognizing my 8800gt drivers anymore. I reinstalled those, and now everything is fine and dandy without the mx200 in.

Can I put that 2nd card in and have my TV and monitor running side by side together? Will this work when I buy another monitor to hook up to the 8800gt as well?

What did I do wrong that disabled the 8800gt?

I'll keep refreshing this page.
Thanks

-Spit

What OS are you running? If it is Vista then it is highly unlikely that it will work as Vista doesnt like multiple Video Drivers installed and not work properly. You would need a SLi setup in order to do it properly.

Not necessary. But it still could be a conflict of drivers. You might have to install the PCI card first then the PCIe card. So that Windows will use those as the primary drivers.

I dont know for sure but i dont think you can run a PCIe and a PCI video card in a system without problems.

So what should my next step be?

If you think this setup won't work, do I have any other options for getting 3 monitors without buying a new mobo? (mine only has 1 pci-e slot)

I was hoping that they would cooperate since they're both nvidia cards, but clearly the new card didn't like the 8800gt drivers

You could try installing the PCI card first and then the PCIe. But i cant guarantee that it will work. you might still come across driver issues with the PCI card when you try to access it.

As for getting 3 monitors on a system with only 1 GFX card. I thought there was adapters out there that could do this. But i might just be thinking of a KVM.

I honestly dont know. I have never used a splitter. But i would say they would have to be clones and same resolution. Since you are taking 1 signal and splitting it to 2 monitors. But that is just a guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom