Help me with this Hardware/software issues Please (its a long post, sorry).

Status
Not open for further replies.

wead

Baseband Member
Hey guys.
So here is the deal :
A client of mine had a dell T-1450 and he wanted to upgrade it. So I got him an Abit motherboard with a nice processor and a good amount of Ram. I didn't know but Dell Cases won't accept non Dell motherboards (the pci devices wont go in). So anyway I moved everything to a new case : all the hardware is installed fine and dandy/
He had windows 98, the dell version. Now I installed all of his peripherals (hd, cd rom, etc..) into the new case too. When I boot up, basically it doesn't work because the drivers are not the right drivers for the motherboard (it still thinks it is a dell motherboard) anyway I can go into safe mode and all and update the drivers via device manager but they do not save. The cd rom also does not work correctly and whenever I try to go into reg win 98 without safemode msgsrv and the following programs fail and it freezes. I was thinking of just upgrading him to win2k pro, do you all think that will fix it?

Also the cd rom drivers are all messed up could this be because it was from the dell?

I also took out all the motherboard drivers in desperation... I got the CD rom to work via mscdex or whatever the program is copied all the other drivers (they came with setup programs that supposedly run) but ifor the chipsets it does not install correctly saying the OS is not supported (it supports win98se but not win98 original but I can't tell which one it is because it just says DELL) whats up with that does anyone have experience upgrading Dells to non dell motherboards using the same HD and files on the HD (can't format it).

Will an upgrade to win 2k allow me to keep the files granted I use the fat32 file system?

One last thing : I have another computer that was a gateway that I switched the HD into a better comp (500mhz with an aopen motherboard) and it won't let me install the drivers and such. Today I took out the soundcard to see what it was (putting it on its side) and when I rebooted the video card was not working or something but when I turned it on the monitor flickered but still said the conection was not there. I tried taking out the video card, switching it, everything and now it doesn't register at all. I noticed at one point I removed it while there was still power into the system (but the comp was not on). Could that have fried my VGA drivers?

ONE LAST THING IM SORRY THIS IS SO LONG...
I got another comp with a P4 and a fan and I tried to take out the Fan and the latch broke off... The fan wont come off there are no screws I can see and it has 2 latches parralel to eachother that dont seem to latch onto the motherboard. Could there be some kind of adhesive or something on it?

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH IF YOU REPLY.

If yall need help with anti spam software, removing adware, viruses , etc.. I can help you out. Reply with your questons if you like.

If you like MSconfig you will like www.winpatrol.com winpatrol is a free awesome program that has fixed many pcs on its own when nothing else worked.

Main question in all this babble : If I upgrade to win2k pro using the fat32 filesystem will all the programs still be installed and whatnot (considering I would have to install it from dos via copying it to the C drive first.
<3

yeah I did. The dell win98 OS fails whenever I start it up in regular mode and I can get it to run by confirming only some of the boot process but it doesn't work it just freezes when I goto browse to choose the drivers.

Prob not working because its checking the Mobo BIOS for the DELL OEM signature. I'am just guessing though, i would get a copy of XP professional, back up needed data and format

ProLific said:
Prob not working because its checking the Mobo BIOS for the DELL OEM signature. I'am just guessing though, i would get a copy of XP professional, back up needed data and format

Thats a good plan in this situation, I'd follow ProLific's advice. 98 does not have security needed for today's internet, and Dell software is proprietary like it's hardware, so you will have to reinstall regardless, and probably with a non- Dell altered OS.

Exactly!!! ,, the PC is still picking up the Signatures of the DELL "locking",, they do this to insure that you will continue to go back to DELL to gain hardware and support.

FORMAT, REINSTALL from a NON DELL install,, and you should be rolling,,

You really need to wipe everything that Dell has written to away,,,

To all you Pavillion Owners out there,,, They Use this Ploy TOo!

Buyer Beware!

Good Luck,,

I had a Pavillion,, and my ultimate fix,,,, Replace everything,,

*arrgh,, the nightmares are back* "gimme my meds!"

I so wish I could format I would have done formatted by now. However, this is not my machine its a clients and he wants all of his stuff on it. Will a windows 2k upgrade format the drive if I keep the file system as FAT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom