Building System, Stuck on Motherboard etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the download:
Windows 7 Release Candidate Customer Preview Program
Get the 64bit as you will be running more than 3gb of memory.

One thing to consider if you are using this computer for work. While win7 RC is an excellent product it is still a beta. I would check with the software manufactures of the software you will be using to make sure there are not any specific issues with win7.

Things can still go wrong and if this computer is to be used for important work I would consider getting whatever OS your software companies recommend.

I agree with Slaymate on the i7 build.

I definitely think you should go with an i7 920 system. Your looking for somthing that can multi-task and has tons of memory bandwidth. The i7 is the Winner hands down. And while you won't be overclocking, it is a cheap upgrade later down the road with a decent heatsink (which can be added later). I'll recommend the EVGA X58 LE as it's a full featured more valued minded board than the std. EVGA X58 or you should look at the Asus P6T.

Newegg.com - EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX X58 SLI LE Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
Newegg.com - ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

And the OCZ DDR3 1600 Platinum isn't on sale anymore but the OCZ DDR3 1600 Gold is almost as good and it has a good price still.

Newegg.com - OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK - Desktop Memory

Thank you for your help. Will check up more on these. I think for what I am going to be doing and for affordability I think the AMD route might be my option right now and the i7 in the future. Will see.

Here is the download:
Windows 7 Release Candidate Customer Preview Program
Get the 64bit as you will be running more than 3gb of memory.

One thing to consider if you are using this computer for work. While win7 RC is an excellent product it is still a beta. I would check with the software manufactures of the software you will be using to make sure there are not any specific issues with win7.

Things can still go wrong and if this computer is to be used for important work I would consider getting whatever OS your software companies recommend.

I agree with Slaymate on the i7 build.

Thank you for reminding me about that. I will look into that. If not, should I atleast upgrade to vist home premium or professional 64 bit for now.

Even though I like the i7 I might have to go the AMD route for affordability and since I am not a gamer, I should be ok. Will see. What do you think about my wish lists?

I am not as well versed in AMD as others so I will refrain from comments on specifics.

The Phenom II is a great cpu. From what I have heard it is actually a waste of money to go for ddr3 ram and motherbord with the PII at the moment as the performance gain is minimal.

If you have a Microcenter close to you you could look to see if they still have the i7 920 cpu for $199. That would get an i7 build closer to your budget.

If you have 600 bucks to spend on a case/mobo/cpu/RAM, I would just go i7 now. That's really your best bet.

If you're stuck on AMD, get an x4 940 and an AM2+ chipset, preferably a 790GX board. DDR3 is wasted on AM3, and AM2+ is plenty upgradable.

I'll get you specifics later if you chose to go AMD, but I second hefe in the i7 route.

If you have 600 bucks to spend on a case/mobo/cpu/RAM, I would just go i7 now. That's really your best bet.

If you're stuck on AMD, get an x4 940 and an AM2+ chipset, preferably a 790GX board. DDR3 is wasted on AM3, and AM2+ is plenty upgradable.

I'll get you specifics later if you chose to go AMD, but I second hefe in the i7 route.

Thank you very much for your input. When you get time, can you get me some specifics on the AMD. I am still not 100% going with the AMD, this will help me make an informed decision.

I will look into your recomendations a bit further. Thank you.

Sure, give me a sec, got really busy all of the sudden, haha. I'll throw up a few ideas here for you as a comparison between the AMD and Intel builds.

Sure, give me a sec, got really busy all of the sudden, haha. I'll throw up a few ideas here for you as a comparison between the AMD and Intel builds.

Thank you very much. Take your time. I have the rest of the night, until back to work..:(

Well, for AMD, I would go with this setup. You said you don't game, right?

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL4D-4GBPI-B - Desktop Memory
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

That's pretty much what you need, right? Comes to $420.56 after shipping, then you get 20 bucks back in an MIR.

Compared to a good i7 build, you'd need close to 600 bucks just for the mobo/cpu/ram, depending on the parts. Doesn't leave much for the case, but would be so worth the extra money in my opinion. Up to you though.

EDIT: Sorry for the huge delay, got sidetracked.

Hey everyone, thank you all for your posts. I have an update here. I have decided on the Core i7. I found a great deal at Microcenter for $199, so that was the decider.

I now need to pick a motherboard for the i7, Memory, Sound Card etc. I will update in a few. If you have any recommendations, please don't hesitate to tell. I am trying to make my decision by tonight or tomorrow morning the latest.

Here is a link to my final build

Newegg.com - Once You Know, You Newegg

Thanks again. I will update again.

P.S. hikaricloud, no problem on being sidetracked....I appreciate your assistance. Now that I made the i7 decision, what would you recommend now that I am going that route?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom