My Annual Upgrade: Your Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zune Guy

In Runtime
(Long time since I last posted here. Great new look though by the way. :D)
I am upgrading the specs of my pc once again this summer as I have for the last 3 years.
Original specs as listed in my sig (Q6600, Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R, 8800GTS G92 etc) and while its not a poor rig I have got a good offer on the Q6600.

So this is what I'm looking at:
Option 1:
Phenom II x4 940 BE & BIOSTAR TA790GXB Combo
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Sparkle GTX 275
Newegg.com - SPARKLE SXX275896D3-VP GeForce GTX 275 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Option 2:

Phenom II x4 940 BE & GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P Combo
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Sapphire HD 4870 1GB
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100259-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Basically a superior motherboard OR graphics card? I can't stretch for an i7, nice as it is and the i5 is too far away to consider now. Suggestions

(Long time since I last posted here. Great new look though by the way. :D)
I am upgrading the specs of my pc once again this summer as I have for the last 3 years.
Original specs as listed in my sig (Q6600, Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R, 8800GTS G92 etc) and while its not a poor rig I have got a good offer on the Q6600.

So this is what I'm looking at:
Option 1:
Phenom II x4 940 BE & BIOSTAR TA790GXB Combo
Sparkle GTX 275
Newegg.com - SPARKLE SXX275896D3-VP GeForce GTX 275 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Option 2:

Phenom II x4 940 BE & GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P Combo
Sapphire HD 4870 1GB
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100259-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Basically a superior motherboard OR graphics card? I can't stretch for an i7, nice as it is and the i5 is too far away to consider now. Suggestions

The first board isn't a good overclocker and the 2nd combo is a bit overpriced

The last one one may have a PII 955, but that's an overpriced CPU also 770 isn't "poor".

I'd get that combo, that board has 7 chokes, which maintain power regulation and really great OC'ing capablities; then I'd throw in a cheap HD 4890 or HD 4870 (maybe a GTX 275 but usually the HD 4890 is cheaper and slightly faster)

The first board isn't a good overclocker and the 2nd combo is a bit overpriced

The last one one may have a PII 955, but that's an overpriced CPU also 770 isn't "poor".

I'd get that combo, that board has 7 chokes, which maintain power regulation and really great OC'ing capablities; then I'd throw in a cheap HD 4890 or HD 4870 (maybe a GTX 275 but usually the HD 4890 is cheaper and slightly faster)
I agree, 2nd one is overpriced, wasn't sure about 1st however.

Jetway huh? My completely irrational opinion :) of Jetway was that they were bad news, at least not up to the high standards of Gigabyte or Asus and more like ECS. You're sure though because it does look good.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, first time visiting AMD since I fried my Athlon XP 1600+ (Never forget the heatsink when reassembling a PC) but doesn't the 790 series chipset have a particular overclocking feature the 780/770 and lower doesn't.

I have researched both the GTX 275 and HD 4890 and the reason I'd use the former is the GP-GPU apps, badaboom etc. I would like to avoid the HD 4870 merely because its an old model haha

HD 4870 isn't old o_O

I use that Jetway board, and its an unknown-gem IMO.. its got a lot of high-end features that boards that usually cost twice as much have..

Jetway has changed like Biostar and I highly recommend that Jetway board

HD 4870 isn't old o_O

I use that Jetway board, and its an unknown-gem IMO.. its got a lot of high-end features that boards that usually cost twice as much have..

Jetway has changed like Biostar and I highly recommend that Jetway board

You do make it sound like a good board ha. I will probably get that then.
And let me explain my statement about the HD 4870. I'm not saying its outdated, its a great piece of engineering, but I'd prefer something thats not been on the market as long, i.e. that my mates don't already have :) A bit like getting a GTS 250 over a 9800GTX+ when priced the same, they're essentially the same thing but the former is a bit smaller and sounds newer!

But it has been around a while...

Actually scrub that, I'll stick with the HD 4870, too little performance increase vs. the price difference

Could anyone tell me if the OCZ Vendetta II cooler I have will do for the Phenom 2's?. It states in the manual that it's suitable for AM2, but there's no mention of AM2+ (or AM3 of course)
Also, is this cooler good enough. It was highly recommended when purchasing my Q6600 just a year ago...

I would not even make this upgrade. The q6600 you have is quite a decent overclocker if I'm correct and I really don't think you're going to see a big improvement to your new build. I'd just use your money to get a ****** video card, and then once you get more money for i7 or i5 you can still transfer the card you just bought to that build.

I would not even make this upgrade. The q6600 you have is quite a decent overclocker if I'm correct and I really don't think you're going to see a big improvement to your new build. I'd just use your money to get a ****** video card, and then once you get more money for i7 or i5 you can still transfer the card you just bought to that build.
Ah, but you see, the genius of this upgrade lies in the price of pc parts in Ireland. I managed to sell my Q6600 and mobo for more money than it will cost me to buy and ship the new parts from the US to Ireland.
The only thing actually costing me anything is the graphics upgrade (the 8800GTS is quite old now)!!! Its great!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom