Raid!

Status
Not open for further replies.

808Alaska

In Runtime
Just wanted to let everyone know that i set up my first raid configuration today and im so proud of myself! lol nah nah. it was pretty easy actually, i thought it would be harder.

on qestion about it though. i heard of hardware raid and software raid. whats the difference with that? do you need both of them so set up a Raid config? thanks for the help.

on qestion about it though. i heard of hardware raid and software raid. whats the difference with that? do you need both of them so set up a Raid config? thanks for the help.

Software RAID - It where you get windows to managed the raid for you. It normally means that have change your paritions from Basic to Dynamic. It works in theory, however there is a lot of assing around to when you want to recover one of these.

Firware RAID - It a PCI or PCI-E Card that managed the raid for you. However it's still using processing power from your CPU. Suitable for home or small office environments.

Motherboard RAID - Your onboard motherboard RAID Controllers. Personally I don't like them that much as you can not migrate them from computer to another computer (some thing that you can do with a RAID Card)

Hardware RAID - Again a PCI or PCI-E Card, however it has it's own CPU that managed the RAID. Suitable to medium to high end applications where there is a lot of data through put.

What sort of RAID did you set up? I am currently running a RAID1 via an Adaptec 1220SA RAID Card. Reason why I am doing this is because 1Tb of data is a lot to loose in one hit.

Well i was kinda hoping someone could help me with that, lol. i set up a raid configuration but i don't know what kind of raid controller was used.

i know i did a Raid0 which is striping, and that made sense because it was on a gaming PC so i could see why that happened.

However, i don't know what kind of raid controller was used. let me explain what i did. when i booted the computer i pressed DEL to get into the bios, however, before it got to the bios their was a message that popped up for only 5 seconds saying press F11 to set up Raid configuration. so i did that. then i had to logically move the two hard drives to the Array side of the chart. i don't know if this is enough info to find out what kind of Raid controller was used but if someone knows or even has a hintch about it could you please let me know, thank you.

And just to make sure i know this stuff. Raid1 is mirroring correct?

you are correct about raid1 and raid0. Remember raid0 is great for os and programs not good for data.

You used the onboard raid controller to set up a hardware raid which is the proper way to do it. You are most likely using a ICH10, ICH9 or a Marvell controller depending upon your motherboard.

What motherboard do you have?

haha i wish i could tell you, but it was actually a clients computer i was working on. cuz right now im currently going to college for Computer Networking and Technology for my associates then after i get my associates im going to go for my bachelors in technology with an emphasis of business. but i got hired at Geek Squad at a new Best Buy store opening so im learning a lot at school and actually getting the experience at work. so its a win win situation for me. haha.

I dont have any raid set up right now.

However im going to be building my own PC soon and i was wondering if it was possible for me to have one hard drive for my OS then have two with a Raid0 config for my programs and such, because i have a 1TB WD e-sata external that i can keep my back ups in. or would it be better to just not have a single hard drive for my OS and just Raid0 everything because i have the back up? And thanks for all the help i really do appreciate it.

If you want speed run 2 drives in raid0 for os and programs. Can you say 2 ssd's in raid0? Yummy.

Have a third single drive for data. Use your external to backup your data.

Oh.. i c. that makes much more sense.

and yeah Raid0 with two SSD, haha, that would be killer speed. did you try that yet?

haha i wish i could tell you, but it was actually a clients computer i was working on. cuz right now im currently going to college for Computer Networking and Technology for my associates then after i get my associates im going to go for my bachelors in technology with an emphasis of business. but i got hired at Geek Squad at a new Best Buy store opening so im learning a lot at school and actually getting the experience at work. so its a win win situation for me. haha.

I dont have any raid set up right now.

However im going to be building my own PC soon and i was wondering if it was possible for me to have one hard drive for my OS then have two with a Raid0 config for my programs and such, because i have a 1TB WD e-sata external that i can keep my back ups in. or would it be better to just not have a single hard drive for my OS and just Raid0 everything because i have the back up? And thanks for all the help i really do appreciate it.

My advise would be for you to play around with your own RAID before you start suggesting RAIDs to over people. RAIDs are great. However it do not know what you are doing, it's bye bye data and hello extremely ****ed off client.

lol yeah of course. the issue was that the client came in with a HDD that failed, and it was already in a raid config so we had to replace the two HDD's and reconfigure it for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom