Upgrade For Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are talking about the Asus M4N78, it uses an Nvidia chipset. Nvidia used to be the shizzle when it came to AMD, but not anymore. AMD makes their own chipsets and they are rock solid, especially when you get into the 780 or higher.

The original Phenoms are not that great. They work and all, but they don't hold a candle to the new ones.

Actually the AMD 770's are pretty good too :)

Thank you all for the information and recommendations, it is greatly appreciated! I apologize if I am being a pain, but I am taking this all in and looking to place an order this weekend :)

I do have more questions if you do not mind...By chance, what is the main difference between the Phenom's and Athlons, speed/overclocking vs. price?

Also thinking about a monitor now and this one with seemingly good reviews: Newegg.com - Acer X233Hbid Black 23" 5ms HDMI Full 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 40000:1 (ACM) - LCD Monitors I take it Trotter's original suggestions would be compatible (see below just to review)?

-Motherboard: Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TA790GXB A2+ AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
-Processor: Newegg.com - AMD Athlon X2 7850 Black Edition Kuma 2.8GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 95W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
-Graphics: Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GV-R485ZL-512H Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
-Memory: Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
-Power Supply: Newegg.com - Antec Basiq BP500U 500W Continuous Power ATX12V Version 2.01 Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

The recommended HDD was: Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives Would I be able to keep my existing HDD (Hitachi HDT725025VLA380 (250.06GB)?) and opt for an external HDD instead (for backups and what-not?)?

I forgot to mention my existing case, yes the PSU will be replaced with above mentioned: Just4PC Black ATX Mid-Tower Case with Front USB and Audio Ports, 450-Watt SATA Ready Power Supply 708ATXBK in Canada at TigerDirect.ca (no, I'm not in Canada) :p

The athlons are quite old really, the were out before the core 2 duo series began, i don't really now a whole lot about them but essentially the Phenom was somewhat an improvement but the early phenoms has some bugs, i.e wouldn't overclock very well. The second phenoms are awesome and overclock just as well as the intel compeitors, they also come in Quad, triple and now dual cores. In terms of speeds for price, the phenoms are the best CPU's on the market, especially the x3 720 BE and x4 940 BE, the black editions have unlocked multipliers which means they are much better for overclocking.

I think the 7850 you've got are newer revisions of the X2 which have newer cores are a competitively priced against the e5200/e7400 type CPU's.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
go with this board, it has better power regulation than the A2+

also never buy psus that come with cases, remember that if your psu fries there a good chance other components will be effected, this is why you must buy a decent psu.
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
this combo is great.

INNOVATOR, don't expect to play WoW "flawlessly" at 1920x1080 (the native resolution of that monitor). A 4850 won't do that.

That Athlon X2 7850 is not one of the old processors. AMD decided to continue using the name "Athlon" as it is well known. The 7850 is a dual-core Phenom II, basically. It is a great dualy CPU.

He already has picked out an Antec Basiq 500W, Baron5. The case listed has a PSU, but it will not be used in the build.

That Athlon X2 7850 is not one of the old processors. AMD decided to continue using the name "Athlon" as it is well known. The 7850 is a dual-core Phenom II, basically. It is a great dualy CPU.

He already has picked out an Antec Basiq 500W, Baron5. The case listed has a PSU, but it will not be used in the build.

You are getting the 45nm's Dual-cores with the Athlon Kuma's.

Trotter is right though until he said it was a Phenom II, its really a Phenom I 9850 which wasn't a bad CPU; some people have claimed luck unlocking the other two cores (very low chance though) using the Advanced Clock Calibration feature in their SB750 or SB700 board.

When i said newer cores i meant that they have the phenom technology, i did not say they were old, what i said was the X2 series in general is old.

when i saw the combo i thought he was getting it for both, my bad, it unavailible now anyway.

I hate budgets, they are made to be broken. Ok, so going a whole new extreme direction possibly along with budget (under 1k) and wondering about this build:

Newegg.com Shopping Cart Hope you'll be able to see it. If not, here it is:

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920 (from Microcenter)

EVGA 896-P3-1173-AR GeForce GTX 275 FTW Edition 896MB 448-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 SLI Supported Video Card (is the 275 w/1792mb worth the added cost?)
+Combo
OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6G

EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard (or X58 LE?)
+Combo
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power

By chance, would I be able to fit this in my existing case? Just4PC Black ATX Mid-Tower Case with Front USB and Audio Ports, 450-Watt SATA Ready Power Supply 708ATXBK in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

Also, compatibility issues with using my TV as a monitor, it's a Vizio VU42L FHDTV10A?: VIZIO Is this doable with the proposed setup?

I'd like to use my existing LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1P and HDD, but I know I'll need another...not sure what yet (something external for backups). I take it all media files/programs should be on a separate HDD?

Thank you all for the words of wisdom and hopefully I can come to a decision already lol.

go with a gtx 280, bargin for this price and with better ram
Newegg.ca - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
thats awesome price, better then the gtx275, overclock it and its a gtx 285. that gives you room to justify the evga A1. Everything else is fine, oh and the extra rpice for the 1792mb is not worth it, i doubt the gtx 275 would effectively use all that memory.

it could also be an option to get the evga LE and a gtx 285, but personally i would rather have the solid board.

I've seen some recommend the Asus P6T as well and other than the 24GB compared to 12GB (X58), is there much of a difference? I know the reviews on newegg mean diddly, but someone mentioned the gtx 280 you recommended as a soon-to-be discontinued...any truth to this? Would you still recommend it over a Sapphire 4890? Other than a bigger HDD and hoping it'll all fit in my case, is that all I'll need for an order? Thanks for the info! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom