Monitor setup for poor eyesight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darsunt

In Runtime
I am planning to set up a 22 or 24" monitor for someone who has poor eyesight. I was wondering what the best resolution would be?

Presently this person has an 18" monitor which I set up with 800X600 or resolution somewhere around there. The fonts are nice and big but only about a third of a webpage or text can be displayed. Maybe a resolution of @ 1000 X 800 would be good for a 22" widescreen? I want the same large sized text but a more complete display of webpages and text.

Thanks

What Os would they be using. You could use the resolution that the monitor is best suited for as well as have large text and icons. But i would need to know the OS to be able to give more information.

If you don't have Vista you could use Cleartype and make the fonts a bit crisper.. you could also check if it has an enlarge font or something option

The op system is vista.

I guess I could try different resolutions to see how it goes. I wasn't sure if I could find something right, though, because the resolution in xp behaves in ways I don't expect. For example, when I tried the 800X 600 on xp I did not know only a small portion of a webpage would be displayed on the screen at a time.

Right click the desktop and select Personalize. From there click on the Color and Appearance section. there you will see at the bottom Advanced Appearance Settings. Click that.

This will bring up this window:

advancedsettings1.png

There you can go through each of the options in the Items drop down menu and ajust the size manually for the best appearance on the recommended resolution of the monitor.

So you could still use the monitor recommended resolution but customize the theme itself to show larger text and everything so that the person with poor eyesight can still see everything with ease while not using a low resolution.

With that you can change the size of the Icons, the spacing between them so that after you enlarge them they still have sufficient space between then and dont overlap. You can change the text size and font and even color if needed.

That is a very powerful tool there so that you can use what is recommended but still make it work for everyone. Just be careful as if you make a adjustment without at least writing down what the original setup was, it will be tough to go back.

It isnt easy to fix a theme setup once you modify it if you forgot the original setup. ;)

Thanks Mak

I changed the dpi of the text so the fonts are big enough to see easily, while keeping the high definition resolution. Exactly what was needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom