Custom Build...Comments/help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
haha well here is the different hardware (as of now) that im gonna be using for it)

the HOPEFULL plan is to
1. put 2-4 gigs of memory on each motherboard
and of course one processor each
2. each mobo will have a netowrk card attached to it, which will in turn connected to a switch
3. there will be a MAIN mobo will 3-5 gigs of ram and a 1 TB 7200RPM hard drive attached to it, the main mobo will also have another network card so it can connect to the outside........ i.e. INTERNET

ASRock K10N78M AM3/AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 8100 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor Model HDZ955FBGIBOX - Retail
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK - Retail
Sunbeam PSU-BKS580-US 580W ATX Power Supply - OEM
Intel PWLA8391GT 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps PCI PRO/1000 GT Desktop Adapter - OEM
Rosewill RCW-561 3ft. /Network Cable Cat 6 Black - Retail
D-Link DGS-2208 10/100/1000Mbps 8-Port Desktop Green Ethernet Switch - Retail
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drives - OEM
LITE-ON Black IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model iHDP118-08 - Retail
APEVIA CF12SL-UBL 120mm Blue LED Case Fan - Retail

What exactly are you going to use this for? Supercomputer clusters are really only good for advanced number crunching and simulations. Won't be getting any better gaming performance or anything. And I do hope you will be buying cases for all these separate machines and a power supply for each. Basically you need to build 4 complete computers to do this, but only one will be connected to a monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

I'm not sure if you'll need to purchase 4 OS's and hard drives, but I think just one in your "main" unit is enough. I've never messed with clusters before, just your standard servers which already have multiple CPU's on one motherboard.

Yea, im using it for simulations, certain cluster projects, and some others. And just for plain old fun and a personal project!!!

Im mkaing a design where htey are stored on a 2-level rack with fans on each side to keep it cool'
with a small bottom level for the main mobo n switch

forgot to add this....
the power units will be on the rack on the same level as their respective mobo
ill also have another kind of switch that will allow me to contorl each node with one keyobard n mouse

Again, the edit button is there for a reason... please help to keep the forum cleaner.

Sounds like fun, hope all goes well. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom